Author Topic: 74 JPS for sale  (Read 7892 times)

Offline andy harwood

74 JPS for sale
« on: Sunday,December 16, 2012, 04:15:49 AM »

Offline cal44

Re: 74 JPS for sale
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 16, 2012, 04:45:25 AM »
I wonder why no pix of the engine and bottom?  This looks like a squared away car and the price is in line with apparent condition.  I don't think it will last long.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Monday,December 17, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
Nice car. I thought it was a touch pricey, but it does appear to be in exceptional condition. The price for a nice Europa seems to be increasing gradually, and it is a JPS so it will likely sell. Personally I don't extend the JPS any cred above and beyond a similar Special, as the only thing you are getting for your money is bragging rights, but there is no doubt that the exclusivity is worth a few more bucks to most people. In any event, the driving experience from a well sorted Europa is worth much more then the current 'buy in' prices, so this car will be well bought regardless. Got to say, though... the special looks great in black (don't worry Mike, I'm not considering it as a colour change  ;))
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #3 on: Monday,December 17, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »
Not sure its a JPS. It doesn't have the JPS badge on the dash. It looks nice but for that price I'd like to see pictures of the engine and find out if it is a real JPS.

Good looking car, I don't think it will last long either.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,December 18, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
I have no affliation with this car or sale of. I just like it  ;D
Pics of engine bay have been added, but none of underside. Nice and clean.

I noticed that the JPS badge was not visible, but (to me) I think it is a replacement dash.
Did any Europas come from factory with burl dash wood?

The addition of leather to the interior is nice, I think it adds to the overall appeal.
Europas' don't seem to last long on this site, I'm curious to see how long this one lasts.
andyh

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,December 18, 2012, 09:50:53 AM »

I noticed that the JPS badge was not visible, but (to me) I think it is a replacement dash.
Did any Europas come from factory with burl dash wood?

The addition of leather to the interior is nice, I think it adds to the overall appeal.
Europas' don't seem to last long on this site, I'm curious to see how long this one lasts.
andyh
:I-agree: The dash and crash pad look like Banks replacements. The leather really does add a nice upgrade to the interior. The engine bay looks stock all the way down to the brake boosters. It should bring the asking price.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,December 19, 2012, 04:48:02 AM »
I revisited the sale ad today. More interior pictures have been added. A 'JPS World Champions' badge is now visible too.
Question - just noticed car does not have gas struts for engine bonnet support, but has wire brackets attached to the luggage box. I was under the impression that '74 Europas had gas strut supports from the factory.
Were the gas srtut supports a option, partial model yr. addition, or?
thanx
andyh
I'd really like to view this car up close, looks very nice.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,December 19, 2012, 07:36:45 AM »
My '74 does not have gas struts (though it was actually built in July 73 so perhaps this is the reason). As far as I know no Europas were equipped with gas struts from the factory. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me. The car in the ad seems to have a second prop rod added on the right side. Presumably someone didn't like the wonky look of the engine cover propped open on one rod.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,December 19, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »
I revisited the sale ad today. More interior pictures have been added. A 'JPS World Champions' badge is now visible too.
Question - just noticed car does not have gas struts for engine bonnet support, but has wire brackets attached to the luggage box. I was under the impression that '74 Europas had gas strut supports from the factory.
Were the gas srtut supports a option, partial model yr. addition, or?
thanx
andyh
I'd really like to view this car up close, looks very nice.
I'm pretty certain that the gas strut was an after market modification.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline 3929R

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,December 19, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »
It is VERY nice and looks well sorted, but not stock.

The brake boosters are different than the stock ones I removed from mine.  Up front the washer-fluid bag has been relocated to make room for I can't quite see what, maybe a new fuse box?  Smog bits have been removed and the air intake upgraded.  Upgraded exhaust (nice header).  She has Panasport wheels and Spax shocks.  Most of the interior has been nicely upgraded (including the steering wheel, dash, crash pad, upholstery, carpet, center consul).  I'm sure there's lot more.  Someone has loved this car!

Anyone know what the wire go to on top of the right hand fuel tank?

I often wonder about cars with such low miles, 28k in this case, that have had so many mods done.  I guess I am still of the car for commuting mind set.  My own Europa is changing this mindset.  (However on mine, no matter how much I drive, the odometer never turns.  Speedo cable is on my list.) 
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,December 20, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »

Humm...Badge - no badge

Maybe it had fallen on the floor in the early shoots  :confused:

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,December 25, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
thanks for the info on rear deck gas struts. i thought they were a '74 model yr. introduction.
Question about the badge in the picture- it's not the badge that came on the JPS model, is it? I've only seen one, long time ago, and seem to remember seeing a couple of pics. The original badge is numbered, with JPS logo, correct?
I'm not trying to nit-pick this car,(i have a repo JPS logo badge on my dash) I think it's really nice. Just wondering.
As long as I'm wondering, the trunk appears to have a recess for the altenator. This is a owner mod? I know mine doesn't (Bank's replacement trunk box) and the fit against the stock altenator was "tight", touching actually. The Delco i put in is shorter, so rubbing problem solved.
thanks
andyh

Offline 3929R

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,December 26, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »

As long as I'm wondering, the trunk appears to have a recess for the altenator. This is a owner mod? I know mine doesn't (Bank's replacement trunk box)
  My '73 stock trunk box does not have the recess either.  Mine also appears to be a different shade of black.  Who ever did the recess did a nice job!
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,December 26, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »
I think I finally found a picture of the proper dash badge.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #14 on: Friday,January 04, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
thanks for the pic, Joe.
i thought the badge in the ad photo looked different than i remembered.
andyh