Author Topic: Log 33 Walkens Glenn NY Aug 2, 3, 4 2013  (Read 5356 times)

Offline exarkun1178

Log 33 Walkens Glenn NY Aug 2, 3, 4 2013
« on: Thursday,February 14, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
http://www.lotusowners.com/LOG33/index.html

So, any one from here planning on attending?

Ive been meaning to get to one for three years now, thinking this might be the year it all works out.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Log 33 Walkens Glenn NY Aug 2, 3, 4 2013
« Reply #1 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 07:24:56 AM »
Oh Man!! That would be awesome. That's close enough to me to actually consider going. Hhmmm... can I do this? Time to go to google maps to see how far away this actually is. What a great Europa road trip this would be. :pirate:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #2 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 11:49:55 AM »
We are going!!  :D We have already paid and booked our room! This will be our first LOG! Not sure how many Loti we are coming up with though! I'm bringing the Europa for sure, not sure if my dad will bring up his Elise. He might take my M100... Who knows? But I know we are coming up in the Europa!  :D

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »
Sounds great, Chris. How far is the event from your home? I'm giving this thing some serious thought. I really want to go, but will take some work to make this possible. Lots of time to get the car ready, though, and to save up my spare change... and Lord knows I'm always up for a road trip.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »
Bainford, its a 13-14 hour drive for us, which we will probably make in two days. You should definitely go! We still have to get our Europa ready to go too! haha If I can get mine ready, you should definitely go! It will be worth it, trust me! More Europas the better!!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I'm having a hard time trying to find a reason NOT to go. It sounds like an exciting time. Lotus is a very uncommon breed in my area, so I don't get to other Loti very often. It's about 18 hr drive from here, which I could do in two days, but would probably do in three, especially since I rarely drive highways, so on back roads it will probably take about 22 hrs or more. I'm always looking for a good excuse for a road trip, and this would make for an awesome road trip. My worst fear is running into a lot of rain. The car can be a bit miserable to drive in the rain, and my driver's side wiper doesn't work well. It needs to be sorted, and I'm looking into alternatives such as Rain X, etc. Hhmmm... think it's about time I booked my room.

Trevor

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
those of you looking to go coming from south of NJ, perhaps we can coordinate meeting up.  a few of us from NJ - europa, 3 elises, esprit and an original elite are set to go together

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
Yeah, I agree. I'm having a hard time trying to find a reason NOT to go. It sounds like an exciting time. Lotus is a very uncommon breed in my area, so I don't get to other Loti very often. It's about 18 hr drive from here, which I could do in two days, but would probably do in three, especially since I rarely drive highways, so on back roads it will probably take about 22 hrs or more. I'm always looking for a good excuse for a road trip, and this would make for an awesome road trip. My worst fear is running into a lot of rain. The car can be a bit miserable to drive in the rain, and my driver's side wiper doesn't work well. It needs to be sorted, and I'm looking into alternatives such as Rain X, etc. Hhmmm... think it's about time I booked my room.

Yeah I agree with the rain part... and the drive time. I probably won't drive on the interstate so it will be a longer drive. Definitely two days for us! I really hope it doesn't rain, but if it does oh well... It will still be a great trip! I would love to see your Europa and meet you and the whole Europa family up there! It seems like they all know me from the yahoo group and the restoration project, but I don't know all of them and would love to meet as many people up there as possible!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
Reading your posts and sitting at the other side of the pond, it makes me realize just how enthusiastic you guys are. Nope, I'm not going all "touchy-feely" in my old age, but it really is impressive to read about you folks planning 2 day trips for a car meet.

Generally speaking, my impression of most UK enthusiasts is that most won't even bother driving half a day for such things. Ok, we have big shows at Donnington which are usually well attended, but in relation to the number of cars here and the membership numbers of the clubs, etc, I'd say overall we just don't do as much as you folks are.

Brian

ps what do you mean "the car's not good for driving in rain" ?   Good heavens man, they were built in the land of perpetual British rain, we only have summer for one day in July and even then only in Olympic years.....      Don't you know  the reason you have holes and rubber bungs in the floors is to let out the water ?   ;)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,February 27, 2013, 05:38:34 AM »

ps what do you mean "the car's not good for driving in rain" ?   Good heavens man, they were built in the land of perpetual British rain, we only have summer for one day in July and even then only in Olympic years.....      Don't you know  the reason you have holes and rubber bungs in the floors is to let out the water ?   ;)

I'm with you there Brian, I really am. I'm all about road trips, come what may. The problem is not Europas in general, just mine in particular. I have some sort of issue with my drivers side wiper alignment. The blade only contacts the windscreen on half of its stroke. I think the problem is with the rotational position of the chrome housing where the splined shaft penetrates the body. Also, the inside of the windscreen does not demist easily, which can likely be solved restoring the sealing material under the front bonnet so that airflow from the fan is more efficient. Both problems can be sorted. In fact, I can see that much of my free time this summer will be spent getting the car ready for the trip.

My mantra has always been; "They (classic cars) were built for driving, so drive them". However, I do confess that where my car is an original unrestored example, and still in very good (albiet well used) condition, wet weather driving concerns me somewhat as the natural finish on some parts will suffer. But I DO road trip the car, though, and have been caught in the rain on several occasions, and have managed to not lose any sleep over the matter.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,February 27, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
To be fair, they don't de-mist very well in cold weather, so you might find your car is as designed. Or as the Lotus dealers kept saying about the Elise;  "TADTS" - They All Do That Sir....

If the wiper arms are old, it might be worth trying to tweek the spring for a bit more tension. There was a very common mod on the Elise single wiper to re-drill the spring mounting hole to add a bit extra, and it worked very well.  Alternatively you could just drive faster and it'll reach a point where it just flows straight over !

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,February 27, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »
Alternatively you could just drive faster and it'll reach a point where it just flows straight over !
Ah, thanks for the tip. Think I'll try this one  ;)

Trevor

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #12 on: Thursday,February 28, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
My room is booked  :pirate:

Trevor

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #13 on: Friday,March 01, 2013, 07:41:27 AM »
Quote from: Bainford link=topic=283.msg1746 :BBQ:#msg1746 date=1362086315
My room is booked  :pirate:

Lets go!!!  :D glad you are coming! It's going to be great!

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #14 on: Friday,March 01, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »
Just looked in on this thread. LOG33 sounds verrrry interesting.
Ran it by the wife- she's all in for it.
Now, if I can get a vacation changed...
From here, it's about a 9 hr. drive - up I-81 from here, but I'm sure we can find a longer, leasurely route.
We'd like to meet some fellow Europanuts. It would be nice putting faces to people from here and the YH group.
And check out some Europas, of course.
andyh