Author Topic: Introducing myself and my Europa  (Read 3655 times)

Offline EcurieEcosse

Introducing myself and my Europa
« on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
Hi out there
I'm a new member from Norway - with a (long) project period in front of me getting a TCS back on the road (and track?)
I've been into motors (cars and MCs and interested in boats and planes as well) for as long as I can remember.
The general interest sliding more and more towards sports cars.
After a stint with an Opel Ascona A SR, a Vauxhall Magnum I bought a project Alfetta GTV that was rebuilt and then used for several yars. Wanted a GRP car to be more safe from tin worm and my systematic shortlist read as follows:
* Marcos GT
* Lotus Europa
* Ginetta G4
* Elva 2000 BMW
* de Tomaso Vallelunga
* Alpine A110

By coincidense I ended up with a EcurieEcosse racing blue Marcos 2 litre V4 that's been part of the family since 1997.
Later I bought an S2 Esprit project.  Since this was just a clean body, with frame and papers it would never become a matching number original.  I therefore applied for permission from the authorities to do a "conversion": Front and rear suspension plus brakes from an Esprit S350, six speed transmission from a 2005 Audi A6 2.0 TDI and engine out of a 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS (LS4 alu V8)  Due to taking over a property and starting to build a new house with my own hands the Espris is still waiting in the garage but gathering more and more parts around it.

But when I found a Lagoon Blue body and good frame from a Lotus Europa Special I couldn't resist. Missing a few parts, like interior, engine, trans, suspension, steering though :-)
But I'm looking forward to going ahead.  Starting to gather parts, and I've got the basis for a twinc build and the five speed trans from a first gen Renault Espace.

I would like to pose a question here though:

On the lotus-europa.com I found a comprehensive list of Europa chassis number, but mine is not there.  The webpage seems to have been idle since march 2015 so I'll try a question here:

Does anyone know something about federal chassis no. 2715R ?
From the other numbers on the list I understand it must have been made in september/october 1972 and sold to the US in october.  I bought it from a gentleman i Florida last spring but would like to know more about its history.
The Lotus factory / museum was a little bit reluctant about it since the documentation I got with the car is a bit lacking.

Offline BDA

Re: Introducing myself and my Europa
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
 :Welcome: EcurieEcosse!!

It sounds like you have a nice big project ahead of you! Keep in mind that we're happy to try to answer any questions you might have! In return, we like to see pictures!  ;D

lotus-europa.com was maintained by a fellow for several years after he had sold all his Europas and unfortunately, the guy who volunteered to continue maintenance doesn't seem to have kept up with it so the registry has not been updated as well. There is still a lot of good information there though. I find the Documentation page very useful. The workshop and parts manuals are searchable, which I think is useful. There are a lot of good information on almost every topic there as well. This forum is much newer but it is collecting a substantial amount of good tech information, too.

Andy Graham is the archivist at Lotus. He will be able to tell you everything Lotus knows about your car. He wants to hear from everybody about their Lotus to fill out their registry so drop him an email at AGraham@lotuscars.com.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed of your progress!

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 11:46:14 AM »
I have 2963r which was built in December of 1972 and is a TCS with 5 speed.  It is also a Florida car and in fact came with the Coolaire “factory” AC.  Welcome and have fun!

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »
Welcome. That’s a nice wish list of cars. The DeTomaso Vallelunga is beautiful car and if I had the money....!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 02:27:24 PM »
EcurieEcosse ,  :Welcome:

We’re here too help , and above all we love pictures. What size home are you looking to build? We have others here who are renovating and building europa’s also.
Welcome again from Sunny Florida
Dakazman

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »
welcome  EcurieEcosse look forward to seeing your postings    :lotus:

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 05:25:00 AM »
Welcome EcurieEcosse! I'm in the Boston area, waiting for the spring thaw to start working on and driving my fed spec TCS. I have always loved the Marcos GT, but have only ever seen one here in the states about 40 years ago. Beautiful cars, like the Europa.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 05:35:29 AM »
 :Welcome:

welcome EcurieEcosse!

this is a great place to start!

Mark

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum. As you can see, it's a friendly and informative place for Europa owners to hang out. That is a nice wish list of plastic cars. If not for the exorbitant prices they command these days, I would surely put an Alpine A110 in the garage next to my Europa Special. It's good to have you aboard. Looking forward to seeing more about your Europa project. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
I know where there is a nice little cherry red Tesla roadster free for anyone willing to get it. Local pick-up only.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 10:05:59 AM »
I know where there is a nice little cherry red Tesla roadster free for anyone willing to get it. Local pick-up only.

Saw it yesterday. Great launch. A little bit of Hethel is in space!

Offline EcurieEcosse

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
A friendly welcome in this forum indeed  :)
The house I'm building has a footprint of 130 square meters, with the entire first floor plus a cellar of 45 square meters being allocated for garage/workshop use. The living area is the 130 square meters second floor, with a big balcony overlooking a lake and canal.

And as some of you has been suggesting, I soon discovered that my short list of cars were probably on others' list as well, since many of them commanded really large amounts of money - if they were available at all :)

I suspected that the author of the web-site hade lost interest or possibility to follow up, but agree that there is a wealth of information there.  For safety I downloaded and saved the registry pages...

I'll try to upload a couple of pictures of my project, at the same time asking you to be patient with my restoration work, as I'll need much time here due to the other commitments.
One of the pictures is of the Europa body under a cover, with the building in the background. And a separate picture of the house building :)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »
Wow , huge undertaking on both projects. A renovation is much more difficult than new construction and I have been down that road. It is a beautiful setting from the pics and I hope you a speedy completion. Keep posting 😀
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
 :Welcome: Great to have another Europa enthusiast on the forum! Lots of help here and great insights. You will be well advised, as I know I have in my own rebuild project. We really like photos so keep us updated on the car and your garage.

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,February 08, 2018, 04:48:11 AM »
An excellent addition to the forum.  It's great to hear garage collections and ambitious restorations.  I have a MK1 Cooper S that has never been restored.  I love the patina and heritage but also love a concourse restored car.  I'm fortunate to have the car I drove to Prom that my dad painted and restored so that too will never see a restoration.  What you are embarking on is commendable.  It's great to know another Europa will be saved and put to it's proper uses. 

Welcome to the forum.  I too love to see the pictures!