Author Topic: Fitting TCS Side Skirts and Chrome Trim  (Read 878 times)

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Fitting TCS Side Skirts and Chrome Trim
« on: Sunday,July 16, 2017, 02:04:44 AM »
This post is as much for me as anyone else so I remember next time. It took ages to do the first one.

Remove both wheels on the side you are working on.

Offer up the F/G side skirt to the body, and check the fit at either end. Use abrasive wheel to remove excess F/G used during re-spray which makes them not fit properly. Mark with masking tape where to stop removing F/G. The skirts may be L/R handed. Check.

Drill 2 holes at each end, put large pop rivets in loose. Do not fit pop rivets with the gun yet.

Fit 5 new chrome clips equally spaced (0 400 800 1200 1600mm) enough above F/G skirt to allow chrome trim to fit. Use normal 3.5mm long pop rivets with 2 thin washers behind to allow trim to fit over clips.

Fit chrome trim using a 2x1 and hammer to fit over clips, if necessary.

Remove F/G skirt, prepare and spray to chosen colour.

Fit double sided sticky tape all along under chrome strip.

Wait until paint is properly dry.

Remove protective covering on DS tape, fit F/G skirt with 2 pop rivets at either end, and press on to sticky tape all along.

Replace wheels, stand back and admire.

Does anyone know where to get the chrome strips from? I am several short. If unavailable, I will use self adhesive plastic chrome strips, but I would ideally like the original trip.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline BDA

Re: Fitting TCS Side Skirts and Chrome Trim
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,July 16, 2017, 06:12:21 AM »
Many years ago I got my chrome trim strips from r. d. They weren't an exact match - I think they may be a little bit wider but I'm not sure because I don't know if I've seen a car with the original strip. I think it looks great and it was easy to apply. IIRC, it was peel and stick the entire length - might have been plastic. Two chrome end caps finished it off. I'll post some pictures this afternoon.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,July 16, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my trim. Let me know if you'd like some more.

Offline Murramor

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,July 16, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
I found chrome trim strips at the hardware shop.  They are used to add a chrome finish on the edge of wall tiles.  Unfortunately, I don't have any closeup pictures and my car is stripped for painting.  They do look good though and also hold the top of the side skirts in position as they curve over the edge of the skirt.

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,July 16, 2017, 11:44:22 PM »
I found chrome trim strips at the hardware shop.  They are used to add a chrome finish on the edge of wall tiles.  Unfortunately, I don't have any closeup pictures and my car is stripped for painting.  They do look good though and also hold the top of the side skirts in position as they curve over the edge of the skirt.

How did you fix them in position? Tile adhesive wouldn't last too long !

Offline Murramor

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,July 18, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »
The tile trim has a flat section about an inch wide.  This section has plenty of holes and cutouts in it - presumably to hold the tile adhesive. I just pop riveted the flat section to the sills and hooked the sill cover under the curved ('U' shaped) chrome top section.  One then just needs to pop rivet the ends of the covers to the insides of the wheel wells and use double sided tape to hold the bottom section.  This lower tape doesn't carry much load as it is just there to stop the sills flapping