Author Topic: Introduction from new '73 Special owner  (Read 8895 times)

Offline kiwiokie

Re: Introduction from new '73 Special owner
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday,September 06, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »
The rocker trim had previously been installed with the wrong clips in the wrong places on the body so refitting was a bit of a pain.  Only tried 7 or 8 attempts!  Ended up figuring out that the short barbed end of the clip slides into the cutaway in the body seam first, then offer up the trim and the long flexible part of each clip secures the lower edge of the trim.  Used 1/4inch 3M molding tape for the top edge and 1/8" rivets on each end.  I left the backing on the tape until all was positioned then pealed it back 6 inches at a time and rubbed firmly to adhere the tape.  Before I installed I made some holes in the red backing and secured some string to give an easier way to peal the tape once the trim was on the car.  Worked surprisingly well. 

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #46 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »
Used excess tartan material for the area below the door handle an recovered the handle in black vinyl.  Used a $10 leather punch off eBay and a paper template to punch out holes for the speakers.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #47 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
The used Becker radio off eBay fits perfectly and I could not resist the model name!  A little bit of plastic polish really made it shine.  I also bought the blue tooth module so I can stream music to it.  I realize it is pretty noisy inside a Europa but I do like to have music every now and then.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #48 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
Really happy with the way the interior finished up.  Lightens up the cockpit quite a bit.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #49 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »
Superficial wipe down and first drive for a year!

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #50 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »
Did some engine bay cleaning too.  Just love that the previous owner had the transmission and engine painted in epoxy.  The oil just wipes clean.

Offline BDA

« Reply #51 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
Very nicely done! I really like the plaid! Let us know how it runs.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #52 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 06:59:13 PM »
It was initially hard to start and idled rough but after warming up a couple of times it ran great.  It still idles high according to the tach (1,500rpm) but have not put an external tach on to make sure it is accurate.  The engine has an electronic distributor and the tach was modified by Nissonger to work with that but need to double check.  Had one problem  - drivers side window refused to work.  Checked for voltage at switch and all was fine so had to pull the door trim off again.  Fortunately nothing broke or tore!  Wires had fallen off the contacts on the motor.  I could barely reach them with my hand so used some 3M body sealant to hold them in place.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #53 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
Sweet looking radio!

I fit one.  Drove it once at 70 mph and took it out again.  I fit a rally intercom system with practice headsets and bluetooth.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday,September 20, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
Your Europa is looking great. I really like the look of the plaid inserts, and the radio looks the part also. You have done some nice work here.

I will eventually be replacing the dash wood on my car and will be taking the opportunity to add/rearrange gauges when I do. I have also been considering removing the radio as well. I have driven 21,000 miles since I bought my car and never listened to the currently fitted AM/FM/8-track for one of them. Nonetheless, I keep my eye on ebay once in a while for a 70s vintage high end cassette deck.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #55 on: Wednesday,September 20, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »
If you're keeping a wood dash and you're not doing it yourself, I'd suggest you talk to the guy at prestigeautowood.com. He make a beautiful dash with a great selection of veneers. He finishes both sides of the dash and all the edges so moisture can't get to the wood. He also does custom jobs so if you want to rearrange things or change things, he will work with you. I got mine from him and I'm very happy with it.

If you're going to make your own, then I would advise you to do what he does and finish both sides and all the edges.

Make sure you show us how it ends up!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #56 on: Thursday,September 21, 2017, 08:33:12 AM »
Cheers BDA. I will definitely be doing it myself with the help of a friend who's hobby is making beautiful things out of wood. I never considered the need to finish both sides though, but having heard it now it makes very good sense. I will certainly be showing pictures to the class when it happens (though it is a bit down on the priority list at the moment).
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #57 on: Thursday,September 21, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
BDA, the picture may not look like it but the dash is new so nothing to do there.  The previous owner had this car already to 90% leaving very little left for me to complete.  Now did to drill hole for aerial, check clutch adjustment, tune and lube per the shop manual.  Cheers, John