Author Topic: ELSE Europa restoration 2015 -2018  (Read 69542 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: ELSE Europa restoration 2015 -2018
« Reply #360 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 03:14:37 AM »
Once I had fitted Electronic ignition the rev counter stopped working so this RVI to RVC conversion was required.  Anyone planning to do this, don’t forget that you need to change the basic wiring otherwise the car won’t start, duh that took me far too long to figure out.

Very timely post Gmg31, I am getting ready to install a pertronix electronic dizzy and coil on the TCS. I thought the Smiths +/- earth kit was just for bass ackward pos earth MGs. Does the coil lead loop not work with electronic ignition?
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #361 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 06:03:24 AM »
You may want to wait to see if your Pertronix and tach get along. I know it seems the usual deal is that the tach has a problem with the Pertronix but I had the opposite experience.

When I got my motor from Dave Bean many years ago, he had installed an optical ignition, I believe from Allison. I had pretty bad tach bounce above 3000 rpm or so. It gave out while I was in the left lane on the Interstate! I replaced it and the coil with Pertronix units and my tach calmed down.

I have no explanation but this does occur to me. Before I installed the gauges, I sent them to Nisonger to check them out. I didn't ask for anything than that but it's possible they do some upgrade on the tach as part of their checking it out but I don't remember any mention of it so I'd be surprised if they did.

Your supposed to use resistance plug wires with Pertronix. I got mine from Pertronix to make sure I got the right ones.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #362 on: Thursday,February 08, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
So when you upgrade the rev counter you need to join the two white wires so that the ignition live goes straight from the barrel to the coil. You then need to add a new wire from one of the bullet connectors to the coil. It depends which type of coil you use as to which bullet connector to use.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #363 on: Thursday,February 08, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »
Every day a school day....   that's a new one on me, I didn't appreciate there were different inputs for standard and sports coils. Is that the Spyda (?) conversion kit or something else ?

Brian

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #364 on: Friday,February 09, 2018, 04:26:47 AM »
I'm guessing a Pertronix "Flamethrower" .6 Ohm low resistance Ignitor II coil be considered a "sport" coil?

I was unaware of Nisonger until I read BDA's post (Thanks BDA!) They have a kit for "Smith's Electric Tach Conversions" where they state: "...Smiths & British Jaeger RV Series "Loop Tachs"... ...are not truly compatible with any electronic ignition systems." http://www.nisonger.com/electric-tachometer-conversions.htm

Not TRULY compatible? I hate ambiguity. How hard is it to extract the tach from the dashboard? Does the whole dashboard have to come out?
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #365 on: Friday,February 09, 2018, 05:40:46 AM »
The standard Pertronix unit requires a coil to have a primary circuit resistance of at least 3 ohms.

Offline BDA

« Reply #366 on: Friday,February 09, 2018, 05:48:38 AM »
You're welcome, Surf!  :)

The tach, as well as all the other gauges come out pretty easily (considering the access to the rear of the gauge). They are all held in the same way. There is a stud that comes out of the rear of the gauge. A bracket goes over the stud and held on with a thumb screw that pushes the bracket against the dash holding the gauge in. In the case of the larger gauges, there are two clamps and thumb screws. Serge's video on restoring his gauges should help you understand better than my description (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyBWbNYvxhg).

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #367 on: Friday,February 09, 2018, 07:10:29 AM »
The standard Pertronix unit requires a coil to have a primary circuit resistance of at least 3 ohms.

JB: Apparently the "Ignitor II" (which is what I have) is compatible with low resistance ignition coils.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #368 on: Friday,February 09, 2018, 02:35:47 PM »
Just wanted to make sure.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #369 on: Saturday,February 10, 2018, 03:06:49 PM »
Today was fun.  I had some Do Not Jack stickers made and stuck them to the underside to try and protect my floor from garage idiots. I then greased all the joints on the gear linkage and for the first time in 39 years I sent power to the rear wheels obviously she was up on axle stands for now but after a great deal of effort I eventually managed 2nd 3rd 4th and occasionally 1st but that is a real struggle.  I’m hoping it will all loosen off after much more use.  I’m hoping to try and propel her along tarmac next weekend.

Offline BDA

« Reply #370 on: Saturday,February 10, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
Great news! The obvious question is if you have the proper amount and type of oil in your tranny. Keep us informed about your shifting.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #371 on: Sunday,February 11, 2018, 03:42:29 AM »
An engine that has sat that long is going to have issues. Seals will dry out and the cylinder walls will have an imprint where the rings have sat for a long time. There is probably surface rust on the cylinder walls. At a minimum I would spray Marvel Mystery oil down each cylinder and turn the crank as many times as you can. Then let it sit and do it again a week later.

I would replace the water pump with a rebuild kit and the crank shaft seals. And if it were my engine i’d Pull the head to inspect each cylinder as you might have to hone them and replace the rings.

The carb(s) may need rebuilding, just for the paper gaskets.

Good luck!

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #372 on: Sunday,February 11, 2018, 02:07:27 PM »
I think you may have missed pages 2-24.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #373 on: Sunday,February 11, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »
Sorry, I thought you acquired another car?

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #374 on: Tuesday,February 13, 2018, 01:42:21 AM »
Sorry, I thought you acquired another car?

I think that's the least likely thing that's going to happen to me this year. 
« Last Edit: Thursday,February 15, 2018, 08:37:41 AM by Gmg31 »