Author Topic: Lots of pics added....Advice on 74 Europa project purchase  (Read 8125 times)

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Lots of pics added....Advice on 74 Europa project purchase
« Reply #30 on: Monday,April 17, 2017, 10:33:52 PM »
Cams and the bucket followers ? They would be a relatively expensive part to buy new if they're not with the car as the Europa inlet cam is unique to the car. You occasionally see s/h ones and can buy new from at least one supplier in the UK.

The head looks good from the photo, corrosion around water ways is one thing I'd look for on a dismantled head; it is fixable but again relatively expensive to do. But the head looks as if it's been cleaned up after coming off the block ?

Looks a good project and I'd go along with the idea of just putting it together and seeing how it goes. I would replace all the suspension bushes though, the handling is the main aim of these things and new rubber parts aren't that expensive to replace. Or poly bushes ?

Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday,April 18, 2017, 02:58:20 AM »
It has the original ash tray! Buy it!

Seriously, looks like a great project car. As long as your mechanically inclined, have the shop manual and time on your hands this is worth doing. The engine reassembly is probably the most involved as their is machining to do.

Your half way to removal of the chassis, which I would do to remove all the surface rust and then paint it. And as mentioned, replace all the rubber bushings and probably the shocks and tires.

The members on this forum are extremely helpful, you will be on the road with a thurough and comprehensive understanding of the Europa mechanicals. Good luck!

Offline 69merc

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday,April 18, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
The cams, jackshaft, bucket followers, and shims were in a box and all in good shape.  Yes, the car was more disassembled than I expected.  It does come with a lot original paperwork and a Lotus Europa workshop manual.  It even has the original toolkit.
The only parts that worry me (trying to find) are the rear hub, halfshaft, outerboard driveshaft, and the yoke that splines onto the gearbox.  It seems, from what I've read, that the special has different parts than the TC. 
« Last Edit: Tuesday,April 18, 2017, 11:53:55 AM by 69merc »

Offline DamianLynch

« Reply #33 on: Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 05:31:07 PM »
I have a similar situation to the OP.  I have the option to buy a 74 Europa with the engine in that runs, working gearbox and brakes (sort of) for around $5000.  No major structural issues that I see and the fiberglass is good; paint and interior not so much.  Does this seem reasonable?
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow

Online BDA

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »
On the face of it it seems reasonable assuming that the frame is in good shape. How is the interior? Is it a 5-speed?

Offline DamianLynch

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »
frame seems ok but I have to inspect better.  Seats need reupholstering wood seems decent but not perfect.  Dash and console warped from the Texas heat.  Carpet is alright.  Needs repainting.  Engine leaks oil on the exhaust.  Cooling fan not working and air box not connected to the carbs.  True health of the engine is unknown, sounds choppy.  Gas tanks have pinholes in the top.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 06:20:53 PM by hypaspazz »
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow

Online BDA

« Reply #36 on: Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »
None of that seems unusual. You'll want to get a closer look at the frame, engine, and tranny. If they check out as reasonably reparable, then it sounds like a decent deal. Don't expect to be able to restore it and turn around and sell it for a profit but it sounds like a good platform for a restoration.

Offline DamianLynch

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I have contacted the local Lotus club looking for a mechanic that could inspect the mechanical items.  We ran the engine for about 10 minutes from a cold start, no issues with starting up, no smoke coming out of the exhaust at all.  Smoke was only from the burn-off of dripping oil hitting the exhaust from a bad seal I hope.

Given that I would need to contract out a fair portion of the work it is worth it or would I be better off with one already restored in your opinion?
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »
Given that I would need to contract out a fair portion of the work it is worth it or would I be better off with one already restored in your opinion?

If you will have to pay a garage to do most of the work, it will end up being expensive.

IMHO, a Lotus is really best owned by someone who can look after the mechanicals himself, or you will end up paying heaps.

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #39 on: Thursday,April 20, 2017, 12:41:23 AM »
If you will have to pay a garage to do most of the work, it will end up being expensive.

IMHO, a Lotus is really best owned by someone who can look after the mechanicals himself, or you will end up paying heaps.

I've got to agree with the first comment, such restorations can work out very expensive. Most of us farm out things like engine rebores, machining, etc, but do the mundane work like overhauling suspension and other stuff that you can do with spanners (and hammers  :)  ).

I'd say if you're confident at something like changing front or rear wheel bearings then these are ideal cars for you. If that's a job you'd leave to a garage then a restoration will cost more than the car will ultimately be worth. It may sound harsh but it's better to know what you're letting yourself in for.

Brian

Online BDA

« Reply #40 on: Thursday,April 20, 2017, 05:31:16 AM »
I agree with Brian and 4129R. I would also say that the Europa is a pretty simple car and if you don't feel comfortable tackling it on your own, maybe a friend can help you learn. It will surely come in handy after you get it back on the road.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #41 on: Thursday,April 20, 2017, 06:05:55 AM »
Nothing wrong with contracting out restoration work.  Just choose the shop(s) carefully.  It's more expensive for sure but you get the work done by people who are skilled at what they do.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #42 on: Thursday,April 20, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »
 I reckon a complete strip down and rebuild is taking me around 50-60 full days work.

It you costed that out at say 6 hours a day, at £40/$50 an hour, that would equate to say 55 x 6 x £40/$50 = £13,200/$15,840 in labour alone. And that excluded the respray work and the upholstery.

Add the purchase, say $7,000 for a basket case, and $12,000 for parts, and you get a VERY expensive car. In excess of $40,000.

I am on my 3rd, 4688R. I am getting quicker, but more fussy so 4129R and 3089R will have to have more work done to make them in top condition (not concours) to maximise their value.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #43 on: Thursday,April 20, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »
I would say that is an accurate estimate of time and money. Add more dollars if you want to enhance engine performance.

Offline DamianLynch

« Reply #44 on: Thursday,April 20, 2017, 05:58:09 PM »
I am not opposed to doing my own work.  For me it is more about time, I simply don't have the time to do my own work if it requires hours on end.  Weekend jobs, no problem. 

Here is my summary that I supplied to the local Lotus Group:

For the Europa enthusiasts in the crowd the car number is 3470R.  I checked and it has not been logged into the registry as of yet. 

Mechanical
Stromberg carbs looked OK but the airbox was disconnected and I couldn't quite tell how it would get reattached.
Cooling fan not working, car began to boil over after about 10 minutes idling
Engine has a significant oil leak while running, hitting the exhaust system and creating some burn-off.  Not sure if this is a seal issue or something worse?
Engine was idling a bit rough but not terrible.  He said the timing was slightly off and he had some water in the gas tank.  He left the car out since Sunday and the one gas tank, maybe both, have leaks at the top.  He has put a sealer on top so it is hard to see how bad it actually is.
He has fixed the brakes, sort of.  The drum brakes feel like they are still making some contact; the car slowed down quickly after popping into neutral (parking brake?).
He has bypassed the OEM fuel pump in favor of an electric fuel pump.

Chassis
Unfortunately I could not get a good look at the central spine of the backbone as it was sealed up with some thick tape.  I am not sure if this is a brilliant way to prevent corrosion or if it is hiding a larger problem.  Where the chassis was exposed it looked decent.

Wheels
Original wheels, in surprisingly good shape.  Some curb rash but I would have expected worse.  Missing logo caps.  The rear passenger side has two stripped lug nuts, not sure if the threading is good in the hub?

Exterior
Extensive crazing and flaking of the paint.....  people pay good money for this type of Patina in California!  More importantly it looks to be original paint besides the rear quarter panel where he experimented a little with changing the color.  The only spider cracking that I could find was near the latch on the front hood.  Some chips in the fiberglass here and there but it was in surprisingly good shape. Should be an easy repaint.  The doors were stiff to open but did not feel like they sagged when opened to my surprise.  The tail lights, front, and side blinkers were fully intact.
The chrome looks good as; side mirrors showed some micro-pitting but the mirror glass was good.

Glass
Windscreen has a full length crack and will need to be replaced.  I would add that the drivers side window actually rolls down!

Interior
Seats need to be redone
Dash is wavy and would need to be adjusted.  The wood looked faded but it seemed fully intact with minimal cracking.
The center console is warped and would need addressing.  The shift knob was a bit worn and the shift boot was detached but it was there.
The carpet actually looked ok
The tach was not working, brake light was lit but I was not sure where to engage/disengage the parking brake.

The items that worry me the most are the condition of the central spine of the backbone chassis, the oil leak, and the sloppiness of the shifter (as simple as a gate plate?)  I told the owner that I would not pull the tape off that day but if I was serious about the car I need to open it up to check corrosion.

So this is what I am working with....  Roger (board member) has agreed to look over the car with me since I am new to this car.  I am hoping my stocks continue to go up over the next couple of trading days so that my spousal negotiations go better than yesterday!

I do have to say though that I am a bit intimidated by the above comments.  It makes me appreciate the ease of ownership of my Elise and Evora!

« Last Edit: Thursday,April 20, 2017, 06:00:34 PM by hypaspazz »
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow