Author Topic: LOG 38 Trailer Queen  (Read 1160 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
LOG 38 Trailer Queen
« on: Wednesday,July 04, 2018, 01:38:56 PM »
Well, chances are better than not 0659R won’t be in a running condition when it arrives.   The dashboard wiring is now at the bottom of the list of things to do (and piled up at the bottom of the passenger seat).  Shipwright’s disease and 1 and 2 day jobs that have extended into weeks have taken their toll.   The windshield will be temporarily set in place and maybe I’ll have the windows working so it can be steered while pushing... that is if I can get the steering wheel put back in place:).  Other than that, it’s coming along well:)

This is how the car looked this morning and one of the disease-caused modifications. I think the final exhaust result, which will be completed by LOG looks much better than it did before my relapse.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline BDA

Re: LOG 38 Trailer Queen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 04, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
She looks great! It's a shame that she'll have to ride up on a trailer but the debut of my car was after trailering it to Atlanta for LOG 18. I think she'll draw a lot of interest.

Are your wheels real 3-piece modular wheels? If so, do you know of a good shop that can straighten them?

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 04, 2018, 11:13:06 PM »
Yes, 14” & 15” US Wheels 94 series steel modular.  Bad news is, they’re 4x4.25 bolt circle.  It’s unfortunate wheels for stock Europe’s are unobtanium

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 06, 2018, 03:11:25 AM »
LeftAngle, don’t worry if it not completed by LOG, we will be happy to see your almost completed project at any stage of completion. Looking forward to it!

At least your close to being done, my project has been stalled by the body work and painting not completed as planned. So I’ll be at LOG with my S1 Elan.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #4 on: Friday,July 06, 2018, 06:30:44 PM »
In my underhanded way of doing things, I’ll be bringing the tools needed to wire up the engine. Maybe someone will take pitty on me and clue me into what gets connected to what.  As soon as the electrical is done, I’ll be able to fill it with fluids and see what happens. 

Offline Europa73

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,July 26, 2018, 11:36:10 AM »
The car looks great.

Did you do the body work yourself?

Are the arches one off? or did u find them on the interweb?

They look fantastic!
also restoring 69 Elan +2 and driving a 1975 TR6

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,July 26, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
 Thank you.   Will you be at LOG?   I’ll have the entire history of the car and what I did to it memorized.  I doubt there’s enough time for me to get it all written down.  To answer your question, the bodywork was designed by me and done professionally using the original type 65 Federal S2.

It no longer matches the 65’s shape as all body panels with the exception of the doors have been reshaped or modified (the roof is the same shape, but has been modified underneath).   Most shape alterations are subtle and large section changes were created with molds and other sections shaped directly by re-forming the existing body.   The fender line curves front to rear.   Design-wise, adding a visual lump at the rear and not doing anything to the straight front fender line doesn’t look right.   The line I chose is close in appearance to that of a Jaguar, but not so much as to destroy the car from being identified as an S2 Europa.  It’s that “S” curve fender line that makes the car look so good btw.  The pseudo type 62 wings up front aren’t functional, but add to the 62’s “look” without slicing legs of spectators.  Visually, they lower the Federal’s nose and their integration with the hood on both sides of  the headlights adds interest.

The pics are of the mechanicals, which are stock S2 prettied up with bling.  My vision was only for the body shape and interior look.  Nothing special is going on underneath. 

I think the car looks better in person than in photos so LOG will be the best place to analyze and mess around with it.  If I don’t screw up more of the gloss coat finish, that is.
« Last Edit: Thursday,July 26, 2018, 05:40:04 PM by LeftAngle »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,July 26, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
You've certainly got an eye for the visual, LeftAngle. It's beautiful.

I hadn't really appreciated the bump in the front fender line till you pointed it out.
And now that I look more closely, I like the kind of panoramic window effect created by blacking out the door A pillar.