Author Topic: AVO UK closed down ?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
AVO UK closed down ?
« on: Thursday,January 11, 2024, 12:24:31 AM »
I picked this up on the Elan forum and it does look as if the company has closed down. A quick google search says "permenantly closed" and no website links

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=AVO+UK

I have AVO dampers on the Elan, sourced via Kelsport a few years ago but when I checked my bookmarks I keep getting 404 errors so perhaps they really have shut down.

Brian
« Last Edit: Thursday,January 11, 2024, 09:14:28 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline BDA

Re: AVO UK closed down ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,January 11, 2024, 08:05:50 AM »
Bummer! I noticed that there is an Aussie AVO. I wonder if they are closed also. I also wonder what places like Kelsport and Lotus Supplies will replace them with…

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,January 11, 2024, 09:18:09 AM »
Kelvedon also list Spax & Gaz dampers plus some expensive "race" ones so there are alternatives. It's just a bit sad that another UK manufacturer has gone but I suppose it increases security/markets for those left.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,January 11, 2024, 09:59:40 AM »
I don't know a whole lot about the shock absorber industry but judging from the number of manufacturers that support the microscopic Lotus Europa market segment (sadly decreased by one recently), I suspect there are general designs that can be easily adapted to many different cars. That being true, then we shouldn't have to fear that shocks will not be available in the future but I prefer there more choices rather than less. In any case, I would assume they had a quality product since Richard (and others) were suppliers and there were other options so it's an added shame that they're gone.

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,January 11, 2024, 01:01:29 PM »
Shame, just checked on companies house and status for Company number 04182161 is liquidation

I guess as long as I don't break the structure they can be rebuilt?

Offline GavinT

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,January 11, 2024, 09:10:16 PM »
[...]
 In any case, I would assume they had a quality product since Richard (and others) were suppliers and there were other options so it's an added shame that they're gone.

As I understood it, Richard worked with AVO to supply specific valving for the dampers he sold. I don't know if the units AVO sold independently had that valving or what difference it might have made.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,January 11, 2024, 09:22:12 PM »
Bummer! I noticed that there is an Aussie AVO. I wonder if they are closed also. I also wonder what places like Kelsport and Lotus Supplies will replace them with…

Graeme at Aussie AVO says they're going to move to selling GAZ.
This was announced in October last.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Friday,January 26, 2024, 10:50:30 PM »
Bumping this topic again because I've just picked up from the Elannet that Turbo technics are taking over AVO production.

https://turbotechnics.com/avo-technics/

How much they'll do or what the new price structure will be is anyone's guess but if it means another option then I for one am glad to see it. The AVOs I've got have been fine and look well made although I don't do enough mileage to give then a real test, but if TT make a go of it there should be an option for overhaul should mine (or anyone else's) ever need it.

Brian

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,January 28, 2024, 10:48:05 AM »
Thanks for passing this on. Good to know