Author Topic: Hillclimbs - starting techniques  (Read 1375 times)

Offline StephenH

Hillclimbs - starting techniques
« on: Monday,November 25, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
For some input from others.
Most of my competition is hillclimbs and sprints that use a standing start.
So you can easily win or lose in the first few metres from the startline.

I am still getting a handle on the Europa so don't think I have it right yet and will keep tweaking and trying different techniques.

On Sunday conditions (on the startline) varied between heavy standing water down to dry but low grip (washed clean and cold).

In the dry conditions I have found a brief 'tyre clearing exercise' (we can't call them burnouts or extend by using front brakes due to legal issues in Victoria)  aids getting a better run through 1st gear. Roll across the start line then give it the berries and a stab at the clutch, 1-2 seconds of wheelspin only.
For the actual start, hold the car at around 4000rpm, start feeding the clutch and throttle in, work up to full throttle as the grip allows (try and limit wheelspin).

In the wet conditions I did try a 2nd gear start to take some torque out of the launch, seemed to work OK, any 1st gear attempt ended up going nowhere.
In the past I have used a quiet start much like you would at the traffic lights, then try and get moving without breaking out in wheelspin.

Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 27, 2013, 04:05:08 AM by StephenH »
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2