Author Topic: Middle U-Joint for shift linkage  (Read 1413 times)

Offline cal44

Middle U-Joint for shift linkage
« on: Wednesday,June 27, 2012, 05:19:44 AM »
I am trying to source the U-Joint in the middle of the shift linkage for the 336/365 trans.  The two U.S suppliers don't have them.  It looks like a steering U-Joint.  Any tips would be helpful. 
I posted this on groups as well.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Pete Gossett

Re: Middle U-Joint for shift linkage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 27, 2012, 05:31:49 AM »
Mike, I'm not very familiar with that joint(haven't torn into mine yet), but I know circle-track suppliers usually have a good selection of steering u-joints, so that might be a possible route.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Middle U-Joint for shift linkage
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 27, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
If you are prepared to go across the pond, it's listed at SJS sports cars in the UK  (http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10) and no doubt Richard at Bank's Europa in the UK would have them on the shelf as well.

As you say I think the joint itself is a typical steering linkage joint, probably a bit more robust than the Triumph steering joints and more like one off a Land Rover or heavier vehicle. No doubt you could buy one of these joints and either weld or clamp it in place to the existing threaded sections from the old joint in the linkage, more work but easier to replace in the future.

As an aside, I replaced the rear joint by cannibalizing a new steering joint to remove the bearings & spider and then pressed them into place in the unique Lotus housings for the linkage shaft & gearbox rod. It's not difficult to do, very much like replacing a U/J in a propshaft, the old cups just pressed out and I seem to remember hacksawing the new one to minimise the damage to the bearings.

Brian