Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 166839 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #480 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
Yep I needed heat too to get them apart as I swapped the extension pieces over from a LH rack to a RH rack.

I use a Triumph Herald RHD steering rack casing, and swap all the parts over.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #481 on: Saturday,January 27, 2018, 12:38:32 PM »
Steering rack assembly day.  I used JB's advise and made a nice mixture of grease and gear oil. Lubricated everything and reassembled. Need to be careful to clean the threaded parts (I use M600 which is a paint prep cleaner, but it works better than anything else) after greasing everything and fitting as loctite needs to be used. Got everything reassembled and tested the drag at 2 lbs. Perfect the first time (amazing).

Bolted the rack on the front of the chassis with the refinished brackets and installed the steel braided brake lines.

Offline BDA

« Reply #482 on: Saturday,January 27, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »
Nicely done! I like the colors! In your third picture, it appears as though you are loktiting a joint with lock tabs. There's nothing wrong with a belt and suspenders approach.

Good to see things are moving apace.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #483 on: Saturday,January 27, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
Thanks BDA. I put loctite on where I found it originally. I also thought it was overkill with the locking tabs......but if it came from the factory that way I was going to do the same.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #484 on: Sunday,January 28, 2018, 03:05:37 PM »
Moved to the back of the chassis and started installing the suspension arms and motor mounts. I want to get the chassis on its wheels before installing the engine and transaxle (both have been completely rebuilt). Any bolts, nuts and washers I replace I use grade 8. Just a habit from running track cars. And I use washers even if there weren't any originally. (Colin would not be happy that I'm adding weight). Never seize is always by my side. Sometimes a beer too  :beerchug: Happened across the chassis serial number and took a photo for the sake of documentation.

I'm waiting to hear if the rear disc brakes will be built this winter by Michael Olsson at MIO Engineering in Denmark. The thread about his building this started in March 2017.   Another month and I will look for a different solution.

« Last Edit: Sunday,January 28, 2018, 03:10:51 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #485 on: Sunday,January 28, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
If I understand what you're saying, you won't be able to put wheels on your frame without your engine and tranny. I'm not sure why it's important to you. I don't remember whether I put my engine and tranny in before or after I mounted the body on the frame. I think that's your choice.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding your plans...

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #486 on: Monday,January 29, 2018, 01:13:02 AM »
BDA, I was going to install the engine and transaxle in the chassis before putting the body back on. But first I want to get the wheels on as it’s much easier to roll the chassis around then moving it on the lift. Make sense?

Offline BDA

« Reply #487 on: Monday,January 29, 2018, 05:30:00 AM »
Yeah. It sounded like you were planning to have a bare rolling frame (without engine and tranny) which can't be done without some way of attaching the inner rear suspension to something. It reminded me of when Serge was planning to modify his cross member with the expectation that he would be able to take his tranny out and still have a roller (or something like that) and I reminded him that wasn't going to work. It's easy to get crossed up like that because you would be able to have a rolling frame with almost any other car (your Elan for example). I didn't want you to go down a rat hole but I probably shouldn't have worried since you certainly would have figured it out quickly. it's a very shallow rat hole!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #488 on: Monday,January 29, 2018, 05:38:30 AM »
BDA, I was going to install the engine and transaxle in the chassis before putting the body back on. But first I want to get the wheels on as it’s much easier to roll the chassis around then moving it on the lift. Make sense?

Stick the car on a wooden pallet which has 6" castor wheels and the car goes anywhere very easily.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #489 on: Monday,January 29, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
Looking good Certified! I'm probably a customer for the rear disc conversion also, if I can see the design first.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline seniorchristo

« Reply #490 on: Monday,January 29, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »
Glen,
It looks like your left sway bar link is has a different curvature than the right one.  Or could it be camera angles and/or failing eyesight? :confused:
Chris

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #491 on: Monday,January 29, 2018, 05:15:36 PM »
Good eyes Chris, the left and right sides of the sway bar are not the same. I was wondering same but needed to see a stock one before I started bending.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #492 on: Wednesday,January 31, 2018, 07:07:31 AM »
Got an update from the body shop on the continued sanding of my Europa body.  Now I need to focus on removing the window frame trim from the doors and get them to the body shop.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #493 on: Wednesday,January 31, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »
glen, are you deleting the front and rear bumpers too?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #494 on: Wednesday,January 31, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »
glen, are you deleting the front and rear bumpers too?

I hope not Ted, I had them rechromed for a pretty penny......