Author Topic: 2112P Restoration  (Read 17657 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 2112P Restoration
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday,May 17, 2016, 07:14:44 AM »
Looking good!  :beerchug:

Offline buzzer

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday,May 17, 2016, 07:34:12 AM »
Yes starting to.
A dashboard has not been in that car for probably 30 years!
it now steers and stops (on the handbrake) brakes need bleeding. water system complete
Plan is to get her reading for firing up by the end of the month if all goes well
and then probably a further month away from paint ... assuming the starting up goes well.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline buzzer

« Reply #62 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 05:14:04 AM »
Battery tray and battery in now. The battery tray was levelled up with packs of washer and made from 3mm Aluminium sheet. The ally cover for the centre hole access from 1.5mm sheet and I need to put some edging strip on the edges to protect the cables and hoses.
getting closer and closer to starting!!
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

« Reply #63 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 05:25:44 AM »
Looking good, buzzer! What is the little window behind the battery for?

Offline buzzer

« Reply #64 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 06:59:22 AM »
Ta, thats for cooling air to the LH wheel well. You've got me thinking on that now not sure quite what to do about it, as it removes some of the ram effect of air to the cabin and radiator, plus I will get my new battery all dirty.

Dave
Dave,

Offline BDA

« Reply #65 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »
Yeah, I would want as much air as I could get to go through the radiator. I've heard of people putting an oil cooler on the other wheel well, but I figured water radiator air was more precious (I put my oil cooler in the back). I will accept that I could be over cautious in this regard, after all some air is lost to cabin ventilation, but I think I would prefer to steal air from the radiator for a better purpose than cooling the left wheel well (the right one doesn't sure doesn't need it!). If you are wanting to vent your brakes, I'd do that from under the car.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #66 on: Sunday,June 26, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
This weekend fired up properly and run the cam in so 20 min at over 2500 rpm.  8). Major milestone. Only a couple of issues to sort out. A couple of silly oil leaks. The cam cover fit over the alternator drive oil seal doesn't seal properly so I had to whip the cam cover off and use some rtv to seal the small gap. Should have done that first.  The other silly thing is I'm leaking gearbox oil from the output shaft threads  :headbanger: silly me again ! I didn't seal the threads with anything (what's best rtv silicone or Wellseal?)
Had another silly thing too on the wiring. 6v coil and ballast resistor. The 12 v boost comes from the solenoid. I fitted a reduction starter and the solenoid doesn't have a secondary pick up, I stupidly wired it to the solenoid feed. So the engine only wanted to fire in the starter position, and dies when the switch back to the std ignition position.  So I thought bypass the ballast resistor, as soon as I do that the started kicked in. Back feeding the solenoid from the ignition. Disconnect the 12v boost feed and all ok.

All good. Engine running a dream.  Next fix the gearbox leak, fit the gearbox linkage, bleed the brakes and test drive!!!
Then paint.  Realy making progress 😁😁😁
« Last Edit: Sunday,June 26, 2016, 02:17:22 PM by buzzer »
Dave,

Offline BDA

« Reply #67 on: Sunday,June 26, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
Congratulations, buzzer!! That's great news! It sounds like you'll be driving that beast soon!  :beerchug:

Offline buzzer

« Reply #68 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2016, 02:16:49 AM »
Progress has been a bit slow recently. Just waiting to get it painted, hopefully by the end of the month.
I have got it registered on the original plate PAN7L which is another major milestone  :trophy: really chuffed with that.
Been sorting out the gear linkage, which I'll post some pics at the weekend. weeping oil from the selector shaft has been bugging me (I'm on my second new seal), but I suspect I'll have to re-bush the shaft to fix that as there is probably just enough play to cause the seal to be compromised, not enough play to impact on the gear selection though.

Dave
Dave,

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #69 on: Friday,October 07, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
Looking a the pictures, the lower coolant hose looks awfully close to the aluminum closing plate. If it's actually touching the hose, you may have chaffing of the hose.

In regards to the leaking threads for the finned nut for the output shaft seals, I hope you used a non hardening sealant like thread sealant or Hylomar and not RTV or Wellseal. 

Offline buzzer

« Reply #70 on: Friday,October 07, 2016, 12:20:24 PM »
Well spotted on the aluminium plate and the cooling hose!!. On the case to releave a bit more and add in a trim strip to the ally..
Used hylomar on the outputshaft threads. Selector shaft seal is bugging me tho :headbanger:  I'll live with it for now to get it running

Dave,

Offline buzzer

« Reply #71 on: Tuesday,November 01, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »
Off to get sprayed   :) :)
Dave,

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
Woohoo!! Exciting times.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #73 on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
Any news? I hope the paint is done and turned out well, although with paint shops things can sometimes take a bit longer than you expected...

Offline BDA

« Reply #74 on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Hopefully you got it back by now. Got an update for us?