Author Topic: Wheeler dealers  (Read 2194 times)

Offline buzzer

Wheeler dealers
« on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 12:23:59 AM »
Anyone been watching wheeler dealers on discovery? I think in the states it started broardcasting before Christmas.
I’m not particularly convinced. Padded out, lost some of its sparkle, a few good bits wrapped in mediocre TV. I just don’t get Ant’s descriptions of how things work, don’t know what they were on when they thought of them. Some some of them are complete bo**ocks and the others very simplistic.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline surfguitar58

Re: Wheeler dealers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 02:44:37 AM »
Ed China made that show work. Not so good now with ant.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 04:14:28 AM »
I read that the production was taking too long as Ed wanted to go through a lot of detail with his mechanical work to rebuild the cars. The shows producers wanted to limit the amount of work along with all the shooting and Ed left. The “new show” certainly demonstrates they have significantly limited the amount of detail of how things are done. I’m not a fan anymore. Too bad, I really enjoyed listening to Ed explain the details of what to do.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »
I never cared for the show. Just another show about quick flipping, dumbed down for the TV audience. However, Ed was brilliant and certainly the highlight of the show. He seemed amazingly capable and his explanations were concise and easy to understand. With Ed gone, I find there is little reason to watch.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
That TV series inspired me to renovate Europas.

They never factored Ed's time into the cost of renovation.

If they did, they would have lost on every car.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,February 06, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
Hmmm I'm not sure about the later WD series, it has all the ingredients to succeed but seems to be doing an excellent job of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

The early shows were low budget things about Ed taking a down at heel everyday car, fixing common faults and doing enough to make it look like it had been restored.  And I quite liked them, once you used to the idea that Brewer was really just filler material to set the scene for the workshop events and not turning profits on everything he touched, it was ok. You could relate to it I thought.

Mike Brewer is a bit "samey" though, and there's not enough spark to keep my interest.  Ant, as a replacement for Ed China, will obviously have a different style but going on from the series "For the Love of Cars", he should know his way around a workshop. Some of the restorations he did with Philip Glenister were good so he "can do" but perhaps the agenda for the latest series just isn't about the oily bits of restorations ?

It'll be interesting to see if they commission another series after this.

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 05:45:56 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed ‘For the Love of Cars’ as it was a better advert for rebuilding classic cars - the auction prices attained at the NEC reflected this - the MK1 Mini Cooper for example  8)

I’ve never really taken to WD as I’m no fan of the sawn-off cockney muppet and the prices achieved never seemed to include EC’s time spent fixing the cars.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 06:30:33 AM »
Certain Ant is a very competent guy, as you say the for the Love of cars was good, but to my mind too much focus on the value of the car. WD now has dumbed down the car work. There is so much more better stuff on your tube channels now. like the link to project binky that I think Brian posted. I still watch WD but it is now starting to grate on me too much, especially when they get all excited on the test drive! Jay Lenno garage is a good watch with a lot of info about the car in questions history. 
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2018, 07:39:08 AM »
I have to say I still enjoy Top Ge... er, I mean Grand Tour, as it's called now. (That feeble show with Matt LeBlanc doesn't count). When my wife asks "what the f**k are you watching" I have to tell her it is a scripted parody of a car show. Kind of a cross between The Three Stooges and Monty Python.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline buzzer

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,February 08, 2018, 12:10:43 AM »
Yep the latest grand tour is good watching. I think it’s great how they have linked in classic stories and old cars. As mad as ever with a massive budget!
Dave,