Author Topic: Auto cross questions  (Read 554 times)

Offline rjbaren

Auto cross questions
« on: Friday,July 08, 2022, 02:08:14 PM »
This weekend I will be attending an autocross 1 day school with my 73 Europa TCS.  I have decided to leave the adjustable Spax shocks alone with no clicks.  I have 5.5" wide alloy wheels up front with 185 60 13s and 6" wide alloys in the rear with 205 60 13 Toyo Proxes all around.  I have set the fronts at 16lbs and the rears at 22lbs.

I don't know how much time we will be in the car and this being my, in effect, third autocross in my life, I thought I would ask for any pearls of wisdom before this undertaking.  I am doing this event with the Chicago area BMW club. 

Thanks

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Auto cross questions
« Reply #1 on: Friday,July 08, 2022, 02:26:30 PM »
Don't have too much fuel in the tanks, take the spare wheel out, and expect understeer if it is dry.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Friday,July 08, 2022, 06:52:41 PM »
Proxes RA1's? I think 16 is too but you'll be fine.  If it's a school, focus on learning and control and finding the limits. I will say lifting transfers weight different in mids. A full lift of the throttle in a slalom and you may be catching it. I can lift in corner entry and braking fine but it's the transitions that get me when the car is un settled.

Have fun.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #3 on: Monday,July 18, 2022, 07:55:10 AM »
Autocross update.  I didn't do it.  The night before I had bad premonitions of overweight old instructors having trouble entering and exiting the car and putting a lot of their weight on the doors and having the doors sag, so I took my BMW instead.  The next autocross I hope to attend will be mid-august without instructors, so I am planning on taking the Europa.