Author Topic: 3780R Resto  (Read 1401 times)

Offline DManglano

3780R Resto
« on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »
Hi All,
I’m new to the community.
Have recently acquired my Father’s 1974 Europa that he bought new.  The car has not run since 1999, but has been garaged, is not in pieces and has all of its original parts.  I going to try and get the engine started.  If that happens I’ll then have to think about the level of restoration.  I look forward to any help and advice the community can provide.
Modify message

Offline Runningwild

Re: 3780R Resto
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum. You'll find this a very friendly and informative bunch

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 04:26:35 PM »
Welcome! Before trying to start, pour some marvel mystery oil down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a week. Drain the oil and change the filter. Remove as much of the old gas as possible. Put high octane gas in the tanks along with a gas enhancer. Turn the engine over without the plugs in until you see oil pressure. Then put new plugs in and try to start the engine.

Good luck! Great group of guys on this forum!

:Welcome:

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,October 10, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good luck getting the old girl running.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,October 10, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum😀. A lot of good advice here . We love pictures. Twin cam ?
As mentioned in another thread. Clean filters, Drain And check fuel tank. Drain oil, refill .
Remember to read and ask questions.

Why parked so long ?

What state or country are you from?

Dakazman

Offline DManglano

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,December 09, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Twin Cam.
Dad just couldn’t get in and out of it - hip.  He parked it in the garage of his weekend home and just kind of let it sit there.  We (my brothers and sisters) grew up, had kids, got busy.  Dad retired, sold the weekend home, need to move the car.  It ended up in my garage.  Now I’m and empty nester and like a challenge.

The car is parked in Chicago, IL.

If you're coming through the area glad to have come by and see it.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,December 09, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
 :Welcome: I am also a newbie with a twin cam special. You’ll find this forum friendly, supportive and extremely knowledgeable. Regarding recommissioning your car, here is some advice from a friend who has owned 3 Europas about recommissioning mine, which had also sat for 20 years:

“The most
important part on every Stromberg head Lotus that must be replaced to prevent self-immolation is the fuel line T connector between the carbs. If yours is a brown plastic piece
DO NOT drive your car anymore until you replace it with Beans updated part. Very serious about this, it will crack and blow up. Also get a Uni-syn to balance air flow to the carbs.
Replace the odd shaped pieces that connect both carbs throttle shafts to the throttle cable link, they get brittle with age, like humans. Not knowing how well your car was maintained
but its worth looking at every suspension rubber part. like tie rod ends, lower ball joints, trailing arm bushings, steering rack gaitors. Also replace the oil feed line to your gauge if
never done it will break and flood your interior with hot oil, nice thought, or seize your engine. Do not replace the carb airbox for single air filters, they may look cool but your car
will run like shit. Each carb depends on the other to run well. Learned this the hard way.”

Good luck, and send lot of pic of your progress!
Tom (aka surfguitar58)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline DManglano

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,December 10, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »
Good comments.  If I can get the engine to restart I at least plan on replace all hoses, belts, rubber, gas lines, etc… Here are some picks.