Author Topic: Adhesives  (Read 1430 times)

Offline vito84

Adhesives
« on: Sunday,April 24, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »
Hi guys,
i'm doing a complete car restoration and now I need suggestion about adhesives (eg thread locker, retaining) you use to rebuild rear hubs.
Thank you for your support.
Best regards
https://www.facebook.com/lotuseuropatwincamrestorationproject
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline BDA

Re: Adhesives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,April 24, 2016, 03:39:43 PM »
For whatever reason, the S1/S2 workshop manual doesn't list a loctite for the hub to stub axle fit. The TC workshop manual says to use
Loctlte 'High Strength Retaining Compound Type 35'
. This is not a thread locking resin, but rather it is supposed to fill in the gaps. I think this is an obsolete designation. r.d. enterprises (rdent.com) sells small bottles of the proper stuff, but I don't remember what it is. A google search of 'Loctlte 'High Strength Retaining Compound Type 35' seems to indicate that Loctite 680 High Strength/High Viscosity Retaining Compound is the modern equivalent. If I remember correctly, it is green in color. Here is a page about it: http://www.skygeek.com/henkel-loctite-680-retaining-compound-10ml-68015.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw3fG4BRDsn9GAv7T2zEkSJACNJdjg9_aNPAeXj5IV4mUvdPAL_kprMhK-KRsExbyygcz80BoCSw_w_wcB.

A minor update, I found r.d. enterprises reference to the Loctite and they call it 'Loctite 35'. It might be useful to make sure that the vendor is familiar with the equivalent to the Brit Loctite number designation '35' and it's modern equivalent.
« Last Edit: Sunday,April 24, 2016, 04:27:44 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,April 24, 2016, 04:26:54 PM »
The current loctite/permatex number is 635.  This is meant specifically for splines and is slow setting and gap filling.

Do not use thread locking compound on the axle nut.  If you insist on doing so, as many do, make bloody sure you lower the applied torque as the recommended torque is based on clean, dry threads.  The stub axles are not made of particularly high-zoot steel so DO NOT OVERTORQUE.

There are now hardened bearing spacers available, use them!

Check the splines for wear.  If worn replace, period.

Bearings should be a "snug" fit in their bores.  Pull, or push, them in square as it is very easy to distort the alloy housing.  If they slide in easily but without play, use some press-fit locking compound on the outboard bearing.  If there is play, then you will have to get the alloy housing sleeved.

Europa rear wheels are famous for "exiting-stage-left-pursued-by-a-bear" so only use components in good condition and assemble properly.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,April 24, 2016, 05:35:36 PM »
Thanks for the correction, John!

Offline vito84

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 26, 2016, 02:50:23 AM »
Thank you for your suggestion, i don't want to loose a wheel :D
https://www.facebook.com/lotuseuropatwincamrestorationproject
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2