Author Topic: Restoration of 3940R  (Read 310 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Restoration of 3940R
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2024, 01:49:24 PM »
I checked with the parts manual and a chin spoiler is not listed (unless I missed it!) but I know mine came with one. I'm pretty sure all the TCSs had them and I strongly suspect that all the TCs did as well.

All the ones I've seen from the factory were matte or satin black. I have seen where people painted them their body color. I guess some prefer that but I'm not a fan. If you're going for originality, matte or satin black would be correct but I doubt you'd loose many points painting it body color and if you sell it and the new buyer wants even more originality, they are easy to take off and paint.

I'm for your being happy having it the way you want! It is your car, after all!

Offline berni29

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 01:56:28 AM »
Hi BDA and all

I think matt black might work for me.

By the way, your windscreen surround, I would like to order some of the stuff you used (https://www.sportwing.com/Extruded-Moldings-Trim/AB10014-S-All-Brite-Molding) but sadly they will not ship internationally. I have some family in the US I might try to get them to take delivery and ship some to me.

Does anyone know if this stuff is available in the UK?

Are the corner pieces available? I can see Banks have the top ones.

Thanks

Berni

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 03:29:25 AM »
CanonSami has some corners posted for sale in the sale section.
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline berni29

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 09:50:44 AM »
Thank you for the pointer....... message sent.......

Berni

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 09:56:09 AM »
While the windshield surround I got is ok, I'd only recommend it if cost is the primary concern. The original windshield surround is long out of production but I believe there are close copies that are available, or there used to be. r.d. enterprises used to sell (check with them to see if they still do) a copy that was a bit narrower than the original so they also sell corners to match. I'd also check SJ Sports Cars, Kelvedon Lotus, and Lotus Supplies.

The biggest downside to the Sportwing trim I got is that the windshield had to be glued in like a modern windshield The trim just covers the gap between the windshield and the body. The Europa normally uses butyl tape with the standard surround. I think because the Europa doesn't appear to be setup to use the current glued in setup (only my supposition since I know almost nothing about installing windshields), you're more at the mercy of the skill of installer. The guy who installed my windshield worked for literally the only shop in my area who would touch my car (that included shops that advertised windshield installation for classic cars). He complained the entire time he was working on it and did a mediocre (at best) job. I vowed if I ever needed a new windshield again, I would put it in myself. The butyl tape would have been a lot cleaner and possibly easier.

Obviously, you may not have the same experience with an installer as I did but the point I'm making is that I've read of several people installing windshields themselves by following the manual and using "stock" replacement parts. I think in the end, they probably got a much nicer result. They even likely saved money even though they bought the more expensive surround.

If you're still interested in the something like the Sportwing stuff, you might try searching for plastic car trim or chrome plastic car trim or similar. I'm sure there are suppliers for similar products in the UK.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 10:02:30 AM »
As I understand it, the modern urethanes work the same way as the butyl, just less messy and more effective. But I'm no windshield expert either.

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 10:36:29 AM »
Kendo, you probably know more than I do here. If the modern urethanes you’re talking about are in a similar tape form, I suppose you could use either. The guy who installed my windshield used glue (urethane?) from a calk-type tube. In some places he used too much so it could have been a lot cleaner installation.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 10:49:33 AM »
Well, I haven't installed my spiffy new windshield yet (fingers crossed for this year). But my collected notes say the 3M product is quite good. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000146721/ used with this primer https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065466/

And in verifying those links were still good, I ran across this instruction page from 3M.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 10:51:24 AM »
Oh, a lot of masking tape keeps the urethane more or less where you want it :) (Also, probably helps to have installed a few hundred to get the urethane bead the right size, experience I don't have...)

Offline BDA

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 11:11:45 AM »
The guy who did mine cut a large triangular slice out of the snout of the glue tube making a huge bead. Oddly enough, that huge bead was fine for most of the windshield but at a couple of places, there was too much or it was in the wrong place or something and it squished out.

Like I said, you probably know more about this than I but tape seems like an easier and cleaner way to go that to me doesn’t require as much skill or technique.

Offline berni29

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 12:39:15 PM »
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 12:59:33 PM by berni29 »

Offline BDA

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 01:00:12 PM »
Oh, a lot of masking tape keeps the urethane more or less where you want it :) (Also, probably helps to have installed a few hundred to get the urethane bead the right size, experience I don't have...)
It just occurred to me to ask you to post some pictures of the steps and details of your windshield installation. I think a lot of others would be interested!

Offline BDA

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 01:17:43 PM »
I found something similar on ebay here in the UK. Does anyone know the exact width of the standard original trim ?

So you're interested in not taking your windshield off! Now I can understand!

The original windscreen surround was 1 1/8" across. The trim strip that you found on ebay looks like the same thing that I used which is 1" across. If you need corners, it looks like r.d. sells corners that might fit that narrower trim as their trim is 1" wide and they have matching corners. I'd call to make sure they are still available (they are still listed on their website) and if they think they would fit. Check their website for descriptions. Otherwise, the stock corners don't look bad if you have them or can get them.