Author Topic: New Lotus Europa(s) Owner  (Read 680 times)

Offline Just A Chump

New Lotus Europa(s) Owner
« on: Saturday,January 15, 2022, 01:37:45 PM »
Greetings, one and all -

So, here's the story:  I've been working on and collecting British cars for many, many years ... along with race cars ... 50 years in motorsports which includes everything from FV to F5000, F Production to TransAm Series, NASCAR-sanctioned track owner and multiple road race series founder-owner.  Currently, in the shop, I've got a '48 MG TC, '61 TR3A, '62 TR4 vintage race car, '71 Spitfire Mk4, and a '71 TR6.  And then, there's the Europa(s).  I was looking for a project car and found one (1974 TCS - #572R) in New Jersey.  Great body but lots of rust.  It needed a new chassis.  So, I start looking for a chassis.  Found one ... well, found 5 actually, along with 3 bodies, 5 engines, 5 transaxles and enough parts to put together 3 (possibly 4) cars.  The gent who owned this assortment said, "buy it all or buy nothing."  So, I bought it all.  Now, in addition to #572R (as a complete car), I have '74 TCS #426R (complete but disassembled car) and '74 TCS #201R (complete but disassembled car), plus a sh*t-load of frames, suspension parts, original Lotus wheels, radiators, seats, etc., etc.

So -- what to do with all this?  I'm interested in putting ONE car together for my own collection but, geeeeeezzzzz ... the rest of these cars?  Any suggestions, other than putting the lot on BaT?

John -- aka "Just A Chump"

Offline jbcollier

Re: New Lotus Europa(s) Owner
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,January 15, 2022, 02:13:53 PM »
Pull all the stuff you need.  Itemize the rest and post it here.

Online BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,January 15, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »
 :Welcome: Just A Chump!!

Interesting story and acquisitions too!

As far as thinning your herd, I would suggest listing your parts here and/or on eBay. Sports Car World in Texas used to be a big buyer of used parts. I suspect they still are and they might be a good option if you want to sell the them in a more wholesale manner.

Offline Just A Chump

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 15, 2022, 07:20:52 PM »
BDA - where in NC?  I’m just outside of Asheville.

John

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,January 16, 2022, 01:50:12 AM »
 :Welcome:

Sounds fun

Offline tonylotus47

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,January 16, 2022, 08:02:30 PM »
Hey Chump

Welcome to the forum,  I have a nicely turned out E Production Europa That I have had a number of years.
I do not race it or autocross as I have other race cars that take most of need for speed time.  I am considering
putting in back into street car form so I probably could use a number of parts you may have.  The good this is,
I'm in Greenville, SC so there wouldn't be any freight involved, just a ride up 25 through the mountains. You can contact me at ajbdsr@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Tony

Online BDA

« Reply #6 on: Monday,January 17, 2022, 09:16:40 AM »
BDA - where in NC?  I’m just outside of Asheville.

John

I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Offline Just A Chump

« Reply #7 on: Monday,January 17, 2022, 11:28:56 AM »
Got it.  And regarding Tryon ... are you referring to Ned Gallaher?  I know him very, very well from a road racing series I started years ago.

Online BDA

« Reply #8 on: Monday,January 17, 2022, 12:14:11 PM »
I met Ned once a few years ago. At the time he had two Europas. Great guy! I actually didn't include Ned because he seemed less interested in interactions with other owners - maybe because he's busy enough with his shop. I also don't have any contact info for him nor do I feel I know him well enough to make an introduction. I could easily have misread him his interest but since you already know him, the issue is moot!

The guy I was thinking about is named Ken who's building an S2 with a Zetec. Ken and Ned are pretty good friends so you may at least already know of Ken.

edit: embellished discussion about Ned.
« Last Edit: Monday,January 17, 2022, 12:24:53 PM by BDA »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Monday,January 17, 2022, 12:54:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Chump. Very interesting story, and a cool collection of parts. Good luck with your quest. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline dakazman

« Reply #10 on: Monday,January 17, 2022, 01:10:37 PM »
 :Welcome:
 Just a Chump

That’s quite a herd of lovely ladies. Looking forward to your parts list , you may want to list them in the the classified section , that way you’ll get more views.
Dakazman