Author Topic: Forum decals  (Read 9116 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Forum decals
« Reply #15 on: Sunday,September 21, 2014, 01:32:35 AM »
It's still there on my link, up to 50 members voting now....   does this link work for you Nuk ?

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=839.0

Offline Nuk

• Thai British Car
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,September 23, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
It's still there on my link, up to 50 members voting now....   does this link work for you Nuk ?

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=839.0

Voted!

Sorry, somehow I can't find where to vote at the first place, thank you  ;)

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
We've sort of let this slide for a time so I thought I'd revive it.

It seems that we have enough interest to do a run of these (whatever we decide 'these' will look like).

I guess the next step is to decide on a design. EuropaTC, it looked like you have some good ideas. If anybody else has any ideas, you should post them. After a while if there are competing designs we can choose.

I only went to one sticker printer (http://www.uprinting.com/cut-to-size-sticker-printing.html?gclid=CPaahsP4msECFSJo7Aod1VwAVQ&gclsrc=aw.ds) and the smallest quantity they would handle is 25 so it doesn't seem reasonable to distribute the artwork and have people have their own printed. So we need a person to handle distribution (which probably includes having them printed).

If anybody has any comments or suggestions, let's hear them!

:lotus:

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
The wife of a friend of mine was the former graphics designer for a motorcycle road racing magazine. Let me ask her if she would be willing to come up with a simple tasteful design for our decal. I'll also volunteer to be the distributor if no one else wants the job.

Once we have enough decal design submissions, the next step is to vote on the design(s). Any thoughts on this?

Joji Tokumoto 

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »
Sounds good to me! Thanks for stepping up, Joji!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 11:38:13 PM »
Hi folks,

The poll still has a few more days to run, but from what I can see the voting has slowed down and I would guess that we're looking at a positive 46 members for "I'd like one". To me, that means a run of at least 100 just in case some folks have 2 cars  :)

Despite not posting  recently on the topic I'm still keen and since the poll started I've done some experimenting to see what does and doesn't work.  For all the budding designers out there I'll share what I've come up with, even though some of the things are probably obvious to most folks.

1. A round sticker at roughly 3" diameter works well behind the drivers' head. It is visible from outside and makes no impact at all on the rear view mirror.  Because of that you can have a solid background in whatever colour you want with contrasting text.  The downside is that you're not going to read the web address without thinking about it !

2. The horizontal "banner" sticker, if you put it in the center of the back window, needs some care on sizing.  I found a 1.5" x 8" sticker at the bottom of the window to be too intrusive with a solid background but clear background with white block text would be ok.  A 1" x 8" sticker with a solid background is acceptable if you put it at the top of the rear window.  As you'd guess from that it isn't length being the issue, it's the depth which is a compromise between being easily readable and getting in your way.

3. Simple line drawings are better. I tried a couple of round ones with photographic quality images, the photo comes out fine but as a sticker it just doesn't cut it.  Likewise I had some surreal photoshop effects which had great visual impact on-screen but lousy when printed as a sticker. It was the same with colour selection, what looks good on-screen doesn't always have the same impact as a sticker. A print shop would no doubt be able to advise on that one ?

4. Clear backgrounds limit the colours you can use effectively and I think it would either be a single colour or a couple at most. Only having an inkjet for trials my I can't print white but think that's the best colour for easy reading on a clear background. Silver works ok but white will have greater impact against the darker interior of the car.

My conclusions were that a banner sticker should be clear background with plain white text (maybe outlined in black ? ). Round ones can be clear or solid background and personally I think they work better on a solid background as it allows you to have something like yellow/black text for example. 

Finally, given the make-up of the forum and the fact there's more than just a couple of us interested, it makes sense to get them printed on your side of the pond.  So a volunteer distributor is very welcome !

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 06:27:32 AM »
I'm just throwing my two cents in here regarding Brian's comments. As a bit of a 'tool box sticker' guru I find clear background doesn't always translate well when applied to certain colour surfaces. I know we talk alot of putting these on the window, but some people may be interested in putting these on tool boxes, bumpers of other cars, etc. I also find that often they do not look quality or 'pop' when applied to glass. I am personally leaning towards a solid, preferably white background.

As I said, just my two cents. I'll happily follow with the consensus.
Cheers
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »
Thanks for all the work, Brian.

I'm think along the lines of a round one with a colored (maybe white) background. I think a rectangular sticker would not work well on the rear window since it would either be too small to read or too big for the window. Bainford brings up a good point about uses other than the rear window. I suppose a round sticker would work ok for places like tool boxes and bumpers but I would think that rectangular might be better those places.

That being said, my vote is still for a round one.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 09:06:08 AM »
As a bit of a 'tool box sticker' guru I find clear background doesn't always translate well when applied to certain colour surfaces. I know we talk alot of putting these on the window, but some people may be interested in putting these on tool boxes, bumpers of other cars, etc.

:)  Now if you could see my workshop since I started playing around with sticker paper and the printer......   

I have the "emergency" toolboxes in the Elan & Europa fully stickered up, both of my parts cupboards and even the (white) wall board that I have my spanners & screwdrivers on.  It's addictive. I've even printed out some I remember from the 60s for that period touch. Anyone in the UK remember the Dunlop Groundhog ?  (and for the real oldies amongst us.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZC00tLj3E )

Back on topic - yes, I agree. Clear stickers work best on a glass background when you want visibility through them and Joe Public sees them against the darker interior of the car.  Round stickers with a solid colour work in the back window and also don't look out of place if you want to put them on the front screen (lower corners, behind the central mirror, etc)  as well. It all comes down to where the biggest placement/usage will be I guess but from what I've seen a round one is probably the more versatile

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 09:27:43 AM »
Should we have another poll for where people want to put their stickers?

Here's one of my favorite old car commercials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5nW2CjR7Ro

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of die cut stickers that apply on the inside. Can someone measure a back window and see how much room there really is? I would think a sticker on the back window on the drivers side would be a good place.....It's not like you can see out that corner.  :confused:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »
The back window is about 3 3/4" tall so a 3 - 3 1/2" sticker would fit nicely. Behind the driver's head is my preferred place. I already have two there now but another one wouldn't get in the way. I think you could put one at the far end of the window as I don't believe that area is used.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
The first trial I made was the same as the UK tax disc which I printed out at 3" diameter.  You can stretch this a touch and I've tried 8cm diameter which is about the limit if you want to get it neatly in the rounded corner of the screen. If you're prepared to mount a bit further inwards then maybe up to 4" but I'll measure and post up tomorrow if no-one gets there before me.

I also prefer stickers mounted inside the glass, they get scruffy very easily if they're outside in our glorious English summer weather.

Brian

Edit to add that the screen between gaskets on mine is 4" and to put sticker size in context I've added 2 shots of the experiments with sizes that I've done so far.  The first shows what I guess would be the two main options, this one is 1" deep and approx 8" long, the round one is the same size as a UK tax disc (so I could use a tax disc holder to swop them about) at 7.5cm, say 3". You could go up to 3.5" I guess and retain that corner window position quite neatly.  (my sticker is rare, some guy called "Colin Chapman" signed it......    ;)  )
« Last Edit: Thursday,October 09, 2014, 01:38:19 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline BDA

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
I think I'd prefer an interior sticker, too.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #29 on: Monday,October 13, 2014, 01:15:48 AM »
  (part quote)
Once we have enough decal design submissions, the next step is to vote on the design(s). Any thoughts on this?

Ok, I'll start the ball rolling with some of the decals I've been trying out. I'll come clean and say I'm not into this sort of thing and do tend to over-complicate matters so I've no problem if we have a "proper" designer on here who can come up with something for us to use.

But here's a starter.....

Edit to add; the car in most decals is the S1 which I think is the purest design and least controversial option. The other image is mine after it's been through photoshop to "de-personalise" Originals are at 600dpi and print out quite sharply, these are just for screen views.
« Last Edit: Monday,October 13, 2014, 03:39:14 AM by EuropaTC »