Author Topic: Forum decals  (Read 9148 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Forum decals
« on: Wednesday,September 17, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »
Before the interest in the forum decals dies away, thought that it should get it's own thread for later reference in case some brave soul wants to act on it.

My first thought is that the purchase process should be similar to what Bryan Boyle has done with the yearly calendar, purchase directly from the publisher. Each decal would cost a bit more but once the design is submitted, no one has to be involved.

Joe or any body else, any further thoughts or should we just let the idea simmer for awhile. I for one like the idea of a rather small, 2"x4" rear window decal.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Forum decals
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 17, 2014, 01:48:30 PM »
I was also thinking rear window, but 2" might be too deep ? I made a couple of mock-ups to try on my car and this is what a 1.5" deep sticker looks like - I felt it took up too much real estate on the narrow rear window.   One alternative would be to have a clear background so you can see through it but of course that is harder to read.

The other thing I considered was a round sticker which easily goes in either corner of the rear screen. Not so easy to read of course but if it's behind the driver then there's no restriction to the rear view.

I'm ok with the proposed printing as per the Yahoo group calender.   I'm equally at ease with storing the design on this site and letting anyone download and print their own if they want to, so I'm happy to support either method.

Brian

Edit to add - thinking about it overnight I decided to try a small round sticker to reduce the impact through the rear window. This is a photoshop on the previous image and shows a round sticker behind the driver's head (RHD of course  :)  )  Still readable and almost zero reduction of view. The second image is the sticker in photoshop - the central image is just one from the internet for testing, I think one from the 1960s Lotus brochures might work well ?
« Last Edit: Friday,September 19, 2014, 11:42:22 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 17, 2014, 05:46:53 PM »
I'm agnostic about how it's done, too. I was going to say I don't know where I could get one made but the guy who helped me with the fabrication on my car prints and sells decals for models. I would think he might be able to make them. In fact, when we agree on a design, I could ask him how much they would be for those who don't want to get one made, maybe he can print and sell them. Of course, if you want to cut out the middle man, that sounds possible too.

I agree with you, Brian. That rear window is so short. I think something rounder that could be put one either side might be better.

I just wrote my buddy to see what he can do. I suggested the size might be about 2.5" square. Even that might be too big for the end of the window! I'll post what he tells me.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 17, 2014, 05:49:03 PM by BDA »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »
I've been keenly watching the interest in stickers. I am interested myself. In fact, last summer I had an idea for a sticker or decal myself that I would want to create and make available to the group, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Some good ideas are bubbling to the surface here.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 08:10:26 AM »
Does anyone on the forum know a graphics design artist who might volunteer his/her time to design a decal for our group? If you have an idea for a decal, please post it. I'm starting to like Brian's round decal with a Europa and the forum name.

If someone also want to start making the decals and selling them, I don't have any objections to that also.

Lastly, is Joe OK with us doing this? He is the owner of the forum and I don't think he has chimed in yet.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »
Joe has supported the idea:
I'm all in for a decal or something.  :beerchug:

I don't know a graphics designer but I like the round one too.

I sent an IM to Joe to see if there is a way to institute a poll or a broadcast message as they may be useful for this effort. I've also contacted my friend but so far he just has questions and I really don't have answers (will it include white? how many, what format will the artwork be in?).

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 11:07:12 AM »
One other option is to let everyone make their own personally designed decal if they are so inclined. Just specify that it has an image of a Europa and the forum name. For those with no artistic talent, member supplied examples will be appreciated.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 01:17:05 PM »
I like Brian's printed sticker. If a printed sticker proves too expensive or difficult to make... Here is a cut vinyl version of a prototype round decal.  (I think a printed sticker would have a background color and multi color artwork vs. cut vinyl which would have no background and one color)
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »
Don't forget to vote in the poll under Garage!

Offline cal44

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »
I recall a few decades ago when our surf club wanted to do decals for our cars.  We had ten members and guess how many different ideas came to the surface?   I like the long flat design as it seems to be more Europa like.  And yes, a clear decal is pretty neat.....sep you can't read em'.

So, in closing, I got nothin'.  Other than I wish I could draw what I'm thinking of.........stupid brain eye hand coordination...........

My NRA stickers on the tow vehicle windows are all round and brightly colored,but that is to warn anyone trying to break in there may be a surprise in the their future....................
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Friday,September 19, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »
Without knowing the ins and outs of printing up stickers or decals, I would vote for something BRG, yellow, and/or black. I can't help with the design, not only am I missing the brain/eye/hand thing, but I'm artistically challenged, too.
My NRA stickers on the tow vehicle windows are all round and brightly colored,but that is to warn anyone trying to break in there may be a surprise in the their future....................
Yeah, mine seem to work pretty well so far.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #11 on: Friday,September 19, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
I was a bit surprised that there was a poll for the decals. Was it really necessary? I voted anyway.

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Friday,September 19, 2014, 02:09:48 PM »
 I thought it would be good to see how much interest there was.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #13 on: Friday,September 19, 2014, 11:41:45 PM »
I'm quite surprised at the results of that poll, and it's a pleasant surprise at that.  Not so much the "yes/no" bit, but the fact that 42 members took the time to vote.

Yes, I know the forum membership is technically far higher than that and if you get your calculator out it's only 14-15% of the membership, but even so I'm impressed. 

We all know that people join forums and drop away after selling their car or maybe they joined simply to sell a car in the first place. Then you have folks who check in infrequently and rarely post (I'm guilty of that with at least 2 forums I'm on) so to get 42 people actually voting on something is a good result in my view.  I bet that's a very high percentage of the active membership.

Whether it's enough to go forward with the idea or not I can't say.  On those numbers we clearly won't be ordering a 1000 print run but personally I never thought we would be doing so. Maybe 50 at best was where I thought we would be and I wouldn't have been too surprised to find that there were only a couple of us interested.

But I'd guess that on those numbers we're looking at the Ebay/home business market, on Ebay UK we get a few companies offering small print runs for club stickers and I'm sure it's the same over your side ?  I'm actually quite impressed at what you can get these days.

Example - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-PRINTED-VINYL-STICKERS-DECALS-LABELS-CAR-SIGN-LOGO-BUSINESS-/251522993844?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a8ff04eb4

Offline Nuk

• Thai British Car
« Reply #14 on: Sunday,September 21, 2014, 01:16:10 AM »
The poll is gone, but I would vote for YES, 2 for me  :beerchug: