Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168328 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #30 on: Monday,October 03, 2016, 06:58:02 AM »
BDA, Thanks for all the insights and information. I had already contacted Andy when I bought the 72 Europa and got my letter and certificate of provenance (see below).  This is my 6th Lotus and the guys in Hethel know of me (a factory visit, track day at the factory, Classic Team Lotus shop tour along with a number of dinners with Bob Dance over the years).  Thanks again for all the parts suppliers, I've been dealing with these guys for years and luckily RD Enterprises is located an hour from my house so on nice days I can drive over for parts ;-)

The question of the side body trim is a bit perplexing as there doesn't seem to be any area that this would have been screwed in (no holes).  How was it attached? Arizona suggests the early twin cams did not have the trim panel. 

And the question on big valve or not is another interesting question. My twin cam does not have the "Big Valve" lettering on the valve cover. Roger, your explanation is another detail I was unaware of. Always something new to learn with Lotus.

I have reached back to Andy to see if he can answer these questions. Let's see what he comes up with.

By the way, anyone know if Lotus Central in Detroit is still in business (under another name) or has any old records of the cars they sold?

« Last Edit: Monday,October 03, 2016, 07:06:14 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #31 on: Monday,October 03, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
I believe there were clips for the chrome piece that ran on the of the panel. I don't remember how the panel was attached other than there was a pop rivet on the trailing side of the front wheel opening and the leading side of the rear wheel opening. I think I got a kit for that from r.d. which came with a replacement "chrome" strip and double stick badge tape. I'm pretty sure the badge tape holds up the top edge of the panel but it's been a long time since I put it on. This from the parts manual helps explain how it goes together.

It could be that your car never had them. I just wonder if the access to the hinge pin was obscured some way in that case.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #32 on: Monday,October 03, 2016, 09:47:45 AM »
The question of the side body trim is a bit perplexing as there doesn't seem to be any area that this would have been screwed in (no holes).  How was it attached? Arizona suggests the early twin cams did not have the trim panel. 

And the question on big valve or not is another interesting question. My twin cam does not have the "Big Valve" lettering on the valve cover. Roger, your explanation is another detail I was unaware of. Always something new to learn with Lotus.

Hi,

I don't know if the export cars were any different but my UK spec car (July '72) has never had lower sill/body covers fitted. I think this only came in the UK with the BV Specials which followed my car.

Likewise the engine has the smaller intake valves with a red cam cover, so some did come out that way.

Brian

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #33 on: Monday,October 03, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »
The silver sill panel is held on with pop rivets in the front and rear wheel arches, and double sided sticky tape, on all the ones I have removed. The chrome strip is held on by about 6 metal clips which are secured to the fibreglass and the strip just spring clips on to these metal clips, which go rusty.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline BDA

« Reply #34 on: Monday,October 03, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »
Hi,

I don't know if the export cars were any different but my UK spec car (July '72) has never had lower sill/body covers fitted. I think this only came in the UK with the BV Specials which followed my car.

Likewise the engine has the smaller intake valves with a red cam cover, so some did come out that way.

Brian

So Brian, what happens to the access hole to the hinge pin? I assume it's there. Is it covered with anything?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #35 on: Monday,October 03, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
In typical Lotus fashion, it has added lightness - nothing there  :)

The parts manual shows a trim panel listed for the TC, together with the stainless strip but if you look at the period road tests the cars were plain like the S2. My car was in original paint when I got it and there's no sign of anything ever being fitted there.

I think it's just a manual misprint or perhaps the panels came in towards the end of the run before the Specials were introduced. Or even to dress up a "plain" TC so that it looked like the later model and easier to sell the last few stuck in dealerships ?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 04:14:19 AM »
I did a fairly extensive internet search last night for pictures of 1972 Europa's and came up with a number of cars that did NOT have the trim along the side of the car. And each of them had the front door hinge hole exposed. While not exactly scientific, there are enough cars like this to suggest that the early 72's came this way from the factory. Andy Graham should be able to confirm this, will wait for his response. By the way, all the 73 and later cars had the trim installed.

With regard to the red valve cover twin cam engine, has anyone dyno'd a federal stock engine and have the actual HP and torque numbers?
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 04:17:48 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 05:01:58 AM »
The plot thickens regarding my search for the truth about the side trim panels of 72 Europa's. I looked through the marketing brochures I have from Lotus and found the "40 Years of Excellence" Lotus Cars brochure. On page 5 is a picture of a blue Europa twin cam with no side trim under the door. It's looking like the early twin cam Europa's did indeed come without this trim.  See attached scan of the brochure cover and page 5.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 05:13:40 AM »
And another period photo of a '72 Europa from Chris Harvey's book "Lotus: The Elite, Elan, Europa".  No side panel trim on this one either. See attached scan.

Offline BDA

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 05:17:40 AM »
That's interesting. I assumed that all the TCs had the panel because first, I don't think I've ever seen one (even while hanging around the Lotus Distributor back in the '74, '75 time frame) and second, because my trim panel covers up some rather unsightly pop rivets below the curve of the body and I figured all TCs were alike. Interesting that Lotus carried the S2 design in that area (no pop rivets) into the early TCs.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 05:21:56 AM »
One final document.  Original Road & Track road test dated July 1972 with the review of the federal Europa.  NO TRIM under the doors. I now have enough data to feel confident that early twin cam Europa's did not come with trim under the doors.

On to some real work on the car ;-)

Offline BDA

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 05:50:22 AM »
I think you just about covered that topic, CL! ;D

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 06:04:02 AM »
Couldn't help myself BDA.  I'm a data junky, know the facts and then decide. Just to close the trim panel conversation, one more example. Here is my friend Russ with his bride Brenda and his very nice Europa at LOG36 (he won third place at the LOG36 concour event). It has no trim panels........
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 06:12:03 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 06:06:06 AM »
I'm sure I've seen those, but I just wasn't observant enough to notice.

Offline Arizona

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 07:54:29 AM »
Couldn't resist one more example; my '72, #2069r.

« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 04, 2016, 07:58:46 AM by Arizona »
George F. Johnson