Author Topic: New rear axles, hubs, and spacers installed 1973 T/C  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Gohan

New rear axles, hubs, and spacers installed 1973 T/C
« on: Friday,November 27, 2015, 06:19:19 AM »
Hi all.  Just finished installing new axles, hubs and spacers in the T/C.  All the old stuff was well worn.  Dave Meisel in Troy, Michigan is offering a up-grade rear axle kit on E-bay.  After much discussion with him I bought the up-grade.  A friend of his designed the kit and races his Europa SCCA with this up-grade.  Dave has been doing the kit for a few years now.  He offers a hardened 3 key way (replacing the splines) axle, new hubs and spacers.  I sent him my up-rights so the spacers were an exact fit between the inner and outer bearings.  Also sent the old axles since he uses the old u-joint yokes welded to the new axles  Production took 4 weeks and I think it is a good product.  I change out the wheel studs to a 12mmX1.50X41mm Dorman stud but the original 3/8 studs will work.  The axles were a mild press fit into the up-right bearings and the retaining nut is a better design using an large lock washer (No more lock tab).  Had to do some light sanding for a good hub fit on the axle shafts and it appears the 3 key way fit for axle to hub is stout. The hubs are a bit larger and you do not need the spacer that goes between the original hub and outer wheel bearing.  I have about 100 miles so far on this set-up and all seems ok.  Installed Precision brand #344 u-joints, new wheel bearings and inner seals.  Of course all is new so time will tell... Tom
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 26, 2016, 07:22:11 PM by Gohan »

Online BDA

Re: New rear axles, hubs, and spacers installed 1973 T/C
« Reply #1 on: Friday,November 27, 2015, 06:46:07 AM »
That looks great and it looks like a good kit!

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #2 on: Friday,November 27, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
Thanks for posting about your experience with these stub axles, and the great photos!. I will be purchasing a set of axles for my TCS and have been looking at available options.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 02, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »
Good article thank you

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,January 03, 2016, 08:09:27 AM »
I have the same kit in my car.   Shortly after installing it, Dave sent me a small package with two large flange nuts and encouraged me to switch from the nut/lock washer to the flange nut.   I was surprised to see the regular nut/washer combination in your kit.  You may want to reach out to Dave and ask what caused the change back. 

https://www.bigbolts.com/images/products/main/hex-flange-nut.jpg

Dean

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,January 03, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
I spoke with him a while back. If I remember correctly, he said was having a problem sourcing the flanged nut.
That's been a while though...

Offline skippopotamus

• 1969 Europa S2
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 10:04:03 AM »
Does any one know how to get in touch with Dave?  I bought this kit and nothing fits.  The press fit is way too tight on the wheel bearings, the keys fit the axle but they are much, much too tight in the key ways of the hubs, and the brake drums won't go on to the hubs because the centers are too tight.
I called the numbers I could find via Google but they are disconnected.  Dave doesn't respond to emails and I can't raise him via eBay.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,July 17, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
Skippy,

Any updates on getting hold of Dave Meisel? If you're at a dead end on getting hold of this guy, recommend finding a machine shop that can take measurements and see where the problem is.

I'm sending you a PM on this.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,July 17, 2018, 10:20:03 PM »
Skippy,
I had my uprights sleeved by him late last year. They were very tight too, as much as .003" compared to the bearings. I did call him and he said it would still press OK. He was right except I had to do some sanding with a Dremel tool on one outer sleeve because it was slightly 'buckled' in one location. Also I put the bearings in the freezer before installation and pressed in with grease. Not happy I had to do that, but everything did press in OK and has worked fine for a couple thousand miles.
I don't have a phone # that you haven't probably tried. Sorry about your axle problems. Glad I didn't buy those too.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,November 29, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »
Tom,

Do you have a phone number for Dave Meisel in Troy, Michigan

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R