Author Topic: $Value$  (Read 1862 times)

Offline 3929R

$Value$
« on: Wednesday,March 26, 2014, 07:31:30 AM »
My TCS has been in the family since driven off the showroom floor in 1973.  I shouldn't, wouldn't, couldn't sell it and thus am happy for its value to remain low.  That said, I am curious about what the world thinks it is worth and this curiosity peaks when I read "what is it worth" threads like the current one on the Yahoo group.  So I looked up my 1973 TCS on Hagerty's price guide report and then looked up other 1973 sporty cars or cars people might consider to be sporty or cars I kind of like or cars I kind of don't like.....

Unfortunately the charts only go back to 2006 but I still found them interesting.  Our cars are no Ferrari or Maserati but they were not priced as such when new (If they had been my dad would never have bought the Europa.)  On the other hand, I'm not sure I believe the "these cars will never be worth crap...." comments that are inevitably made.  The value seems to be going up when other cars are declining or stagnant.  Of course who knows if the trend will continue or reverse? And I'm not sure I should care.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline BDA

Re: $Value$
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 26, 2014, 08:02:07 AM »
Those charts are very interesting...

I always thought Europa prices were too low - but then I'm one of those Europa nuts!

I have to admit that in my experience, Europas had much lower finish quality to most other cars - even to Elans - and I suspect that had something to do with their low value. It does appear that they are finally starting to get higher prices that I think they deserve (for reasons other than finish quality).

I wonder if some of the recent rise in prices is because there are so few of them (and if originality is important there are damn few of them) and they've been so cheap. Of course, the handling is legendary and maybe that legend is spreading.

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 27, 2014, 08:26:50 AM »
I've been doing cars for over thirty years and it boils down to the old saying "it's worth what someone is willing  to pay".
Last year I sold my '70 Boss 302, rust free New Mexico car with "all the correct Boss parts intact".  Ex Mustang Monthly article car.   Couldn't sell it to save my life, and, I know all the selling sources.  Finally a guy with money came along and bought it for much less than I would have imagined.   You just can't tell.   I believe the charts are optimistic.
On the other hand, I see Ferrari GTO's selling for what you could buy a small country for............let the charts figure that out.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 27, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »
It all depends on what's hot and what's not (and who can tell what that is going to be with a few exceptions like Ferarris). I'm really surprised that your Bos 302 didn't sell any better than that. It seems like the old muscle cars are in pretty fair demand.

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 27, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
I believe the 60/70's muscle car values are in a bubble.   8 / 10 years ago a few retiring baby boomers wanted to relive their youth, or finally get at long last that car of their dreams.  Demand ramped up and values quickly followed.  this snowballed when shops and responders saw the market, and opportunity.   

This bubble is deflating.

Now, that said, truly unique cars, cars that are generationally special, will continue to hold value and likely rise. 

All them mustangs, GTOs, firebirds, cudas, etc will be worth more in scrap then in the used market.  cars like the original Yanko camaro, or Shelby cobra will continue to rise.  Special editions will drop.

Exotics will rise, however at a slow pace.  the europa i think falls here.  It will likely stay at the 10k to 20k range for next good number of years.

As the baby boomers die out, the gen Y that are replacing them will have no affinity for those 60/70 cars.  they will be looking at much new cars,  NSX, Vipers, Ferrari's etc. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 27, 2014, 07:25:24 PM »
Porsche 911s went up.  People figured they would never be able to afford a 911 so they had better buy a 912.  And then 912s, which you formerly couldn't give away, went up.  All the other 50s, 60s and early 70s Lotus have climbed up to the point where people are now looking at Europas as possibly their last chance at an affordable Lotus.  There will be a period of steady increases for a while until the value of a Europa is a more realistic percentage of the rest of the Lotus out there.

That is 100% what my reasoning was.  Now that I am up to my neck into the project, I feel very lucky that I "settled" for a Europa.  I much prefer them to the Elans -- though I would trade on an Elite any time.

Offline cal44

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,March 30, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
yep.  My buddy paid 9K for a very nice '68 912 two years ago.............I thought he was nuts.
Guess I was wrong.........again

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines