Author Topic: (somewhat) new member introduction  (Read 2172 times)

Offline fgigler

(somewhat) new member introduction
« on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 11:28:22 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am finally getting around to posting an introduction and picture of 1075R.  I purchased the car late last fall and am finally driving it regularly and learning what all the excitement is about!

I am in the Minneapolis MN area and an active member of the local Lotus club.

Frank
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 11:40:23 AM by fgigler »

Offline BDA

Re: (somewhat) new member introduction
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
 :Welcome: fgigler!! Congratulations on your purchase and your driving it regularly!!

Tell us a little about your car. Do you have plans for any modifications or upgrades?

Offline fgigler

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
I am its third owner.  It was built in 1971, originally pistachio green, and first registered in Texas in 1972.  I purchased the car locally from another LOTUS club member who purchased it from the original owner in Texas in 1973 or 1974.  The previous owner did a full restoration in the early 1990's, drove the car for a few years, and then stored it until last fall.

I received the car in great condition.  I spent the winter replacing all of the rubber, the water pump, freshening up the brakes and front suspension, and taking care of maintenance items.

I plan to drive the car as is this season and come winter swap the engine (which runs fantastically) with this crossflow Renault unit.  I will of course keep the engine current engine, as it is the car's original.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
The engine looks as good as the car!  :beerchug:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
Hi Frank, and welcome to the forum.

That car looks amazing, the blue just sets it off perfectly and whoever did it made a great job. It sounds as if you're not a stranger to Lotus, is the Europa your only Lotus or do you have more in the toybox  ?  (they can be addictive...    ;)  )

Brian

Offline Naildriver

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »
Beautiful car, great looking engine and a 'to die for' workshop floor..!  Jealous on all counts. :'(

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
 :Welcome: Welcome Frank, great looking car  :lotus:

Offline fgigler

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcomes and complements on the car that I lucked in to. 

Brian, you are correct.  The Europa was not my "gateway drug".  I blame that, and my chance meeting with the local band of enablers I have been hanging out with, on a random purchase of this 1988 Esprit some 4 or 5 years ago from a local used car lot!

Frank

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »
Oooohhh!!! Another beauty!!! Now I'm really envious!

Offline 3929R

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2016, 04:15:39 PM »
 :Welcome:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 09:56:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Frank. Your Europa is gorgeous. A very fine car, and that crossflow will really wake it up. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #11 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
Oh yeah, now that Esprit is a cool car. People over here seem to want the early angular shapes but for me the later ones look much better and more in line with the market they were aiming for.  If only the toybox was bigger...... 

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
 :Welcome: You have a great looking car there.  I like the cross flow as well.  It is looking all clean and ready to go in.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline fgigler

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »
Thank you Trevor, thank you Mark.  I wish I could take credit for the car.  All I can take credit for is establishing a relationship with an incredible group of local Lotus fans.  If you haven't come across the LOON group and the writings of our unofficial (ok, maybe official) guru Tim Engel, I suggest you seek them out.

BDA, the engine cost nearly as much as the car! At least once you throw in the cost of the exhaust and carbs.  I know there has been some discussion here on what is the right amount to pay for a crossflow -- conditional on what provenance, rebuild, etc.  The reality that I faced is that they are damn hard to come by in the US.  I wanted one, and had very little (no) choice as to how to procure one at the time.  I probably overpaid but think that I did well given what I got.  I can honestly say that about every dealing I have had with any Lotus fellow so far.  What a community.

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,May 26, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
Yeah, you have to do what you have to do. If I had gotten my engine around the time I put my car on the road, it probably would have cost about half what I paid to get the car on the road! Luckily, I had my engine build in 1980 so while it was expensive (even though I had the head to build the engine around), after almost twenty years, the price made more sense in comparison!

You'll have a beautiful car with a beautiful engine! It will all be worthwhile in the end!

By in large, the Lotus community is very personable and helpful. There are so many people who do such interesting things with their cars that not only are they helpful, but they are often very knowledgeable! A lot of them are right here!
« Last Edit: Friday,May 27, 2016, 07:24:18 PM by BDA »