Author Topic: A couple of Twin Link photos  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Lotus7

• From the Pit Wall
A couple of Twin Link photos
« on: Saturday,September 01, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
As requested, is snaps of my Twin Link setup.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: A couple of Twin Link photos
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,September 01, 2012, 11:34:05 PM »
You beat me to it !!!   I've just finished writing on your other thread that I'd like a separate topic.

Well done, I'd like to have some debate about the merits or otherwise of these suspension mods. I'm aware it's been argued many times on the Yahoo group and that the OEM design has many staunch supporters, but now thanks to Joe with this forum we can have a debate with pictures & drawings.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,September 02, 2012, 01:42:18 AM »
Oh that's a really neat piece of fabrication, did you do it yourself ?

It looks similar to the arrangements I've seen from other set-ups and I do think the concept has merits over the OEM design. A couple of questions if you don't mind;

1. I assume the height of the upper link is designed to be along the centre line of the output shafts from the gearbox to replicate a sort of parallelogram movement with the upper & lower links as per the original driveshaft/lower link ?
2. How do you get the upper link connected to the hub part ?  I guess it must be on a line with the original driveshaft through the hub and whenever I think about the problem that's where I usually get stuck.

Offline Lotus7

• From the Pit Wall
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,September 02, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
There are a lot of people on that other list who know a lot about these cars. That's not a problem. They also have there reasons for doing this or that or the other. Sometimes they forget that Chapman likely had minimal input into the Europa (other than sitting in the car and saying that the foot box and pedals were to large!). For what the car was designed to do, it was executed very well.

The Twin Link exists as a solution to a problem. Nothing more, nothing less.

When you install one of the newer Renault transaxles (mine is a NG3-067 5-speed that will allow cruising on the freeway at about 2700 rpms), you have a problem with the upper link of the rear suspension i.e. the half shaft.

Normally it's pinned to the output shaft of the transaxle so that it acts as a suspension member. You can't do that with the NG3. So the Twin Link resolves that problem by adding a link to perform the function that was previously performed by the pinned half shaft.

BTW, the Twin Link address about 12-14 lbs to the car.

Here is a photo of the part that mounts to the aluminum hub.

Lee

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,September 03, 2012, 12:19:30 AM »
Hi Lee,

Thanks for that photo, I can see how it goes together now.  That's a really neat bit of fabrication and I like the way it's done. Thank you.

I've followed the thread on the yahoo groups but haven't chipped in myself simply because a) reactions are very polarised into for/against and I don't want to start any wars, and b) written descriptions in emails aren't as good as words and pictures together in getting the point across.

As you say, it's a solution to a problem and one I started looking at earlier this year when I thought I might have a gearbox problem. My first thought was "get an NG3" then I found out about the side load issue being different with those boxes and hence the need for more mods. As it happened what I thought was a gearbox problem turned out to be poor-quality tinkering by the owner ( :-[ ) and hence the NG3 was sidelined while I got on with other things.

But I do think it's a better long term solution than the driveshaft upper link and reckon it could reduce rear suspension maintenance if nothing else.  Although I like to keep the interiors and exteriors looking relatively OEM, I'm not averse to updating or improving mechanics so it will slowly move it's way up the "possibles" list I think.

Brian

Offline Lotus7

• From the Pit Wall
« Reply #5 on: Monday,September 03, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »
Brian,

As I said, the Twin Link is a solution to a problem, but it's not the only solution! A second option is to split the NG3 case and remove 'pumpkin' portion. Once remove, remove the ring gear from the center section. Remove the sun gears from that section along with the output shafts. Replace the output shafts with the same item from a 336 transaxle. Reassemble everything, doing all the transaxle set things center and pre-load that ring and pinion.

You now have an NG3 with 336 output shafts. Problem solved.

Well, almost. You will have to fiddle with the output shaft seals in some fashion since the NG3 and 336 output seals are different. I'm assuming that the 336 setup will transfer directly over to the NG3.

Lee

Offline 3929R

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 04, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »
Lee, Looks amazing. 
How is your progress towards getting the car back on the road and track?
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Lotus7

• From the Pit Wall
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 04, 2012, 08:53:29 PM »
Well, we're looking for a paint booth to rent :) within the next couple of weeks, the car could be covered in one color. No more pseudo camo type sanding patterns!

Lee

Offline 3929R

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,September 05, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
Well, we're looking for a paint booth to rent :) within the next couple of weeks, the car could be covered in one color. No more pseudo camo type sanding patterns!

Lee
WooooHooooo!!!
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA