Author Topic: Hi from Australia  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Haysie

Hi from Australia
« on: Monday,April 24, 2017, 08:20:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well I have been a member of this site for a little while gaining a bit of knowledge and following builds etc. Like some forum members I recall my first ever toy car and it was a nice green Matchbox Lotus Europa. Can't recall what type, but at that young age - it really didn't matter.
The main reason for the start of this thread is that I am yet to own a Europa!  :confused: :help:. I've been trawling through classifieds and Australian lotus club sites etc to try and locate one. There have been plenty come up, but I am looking for one that I can restore or do some work on. The prices here in Oz are pretty high, and elsewhere for that matter. I did find one that had had a fairly major prang and the damage didn't put me off, but it had already been sold. I've worked with fibreglass extensively having built boats, canoes etc and have also restored many motor bikes - so I consider myself reasonably mechanically minded.

So if there are members who have or know of a Europa that needs to be returned back to the land of the living, please let me know. The location would be preferably here in Australia.

Moderator if this needs to be in the classifieds section - sorry!

Haysie

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Hi from Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 24, 2017, 11:34:15 PM »
Which part of the lucky country are you from?

Most cars in need of restoration get advertised in the USA. Shipping is not expensive. Around US$1,000 is normal.

Converting to RHD is not difficult, I am on my 3rd at the moment.

Expect to pay US$5,000 - $10,000 depending on the deterioration.

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 25, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
Hi Haysie,

I was in your situation at the start of the year. Lotus, of any species, are quite rare in Ireland but thankfully there is a wider selection in the UK. I don't envy you as the prices were already creeping out of reach when I bought mine. As mentioned by 4129R, there is always a plentiful supply of projects in the US.  I had my eye on the Yellow S2 that's advertised on Hemmings in Illinois (1969 Lotus Europa
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lotus/europa/1846836.html).  At $15k, seemed like a very sound project. I'm sure other members will have seen it in the flesh and have different views!

Aren't import duties in Australia quite steep? I seem to recall that was one of the reasons why my brother hasn't shipped his Golf Mk1 GTi from Scotland to Perth.

I wish you well in your search. If I hear of any projects here, I'll let you know. The good (and some might say bad) thing about Ireland is that it's so small that after talking to random strangers you will often hear "I know a man who has one of those in his shed"  In one case a fellow lotus enthusiast said that there was a rumour of three Elan +2 s in a shed somewhere in Louth.  lo an behold, three months later they all came up for sale (no, they weren't his!)

All the best,

Pete

Offline Haysie

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 29, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
Hi guys, and thanks for the replies. I live in Goulburn NSW. Not too keen on importing at this stage as it is quite expensive. However it is an option down the track as restorable cars dry out!
Will keep on searching and see how things go, surely there is a car out there that needs restoring!!!

Haysie

Offline europatek

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 16, 2017, 07:28:49 PM »
Here's one for you.  Its at Motorman Imports in QLD.  Apparently complete less a few small parts and the original hubcaps.  $9k.
I enquired as I thought it was just the body which would be great for my idea - a GKN47D replica.

Offline Haysie

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,September 14, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
Hi europatek,

Thanks for the  heads up. I had seen this on Ebay. It was at $9k then dropped to $8k rang the seller up and got a bit more info. Missing windscreen, chassis needs replacement, everything is in bits but probably needed stripping. What would be a good price for something like this?