Author Topic: Faulty Distributor Cam Lobes  (Read 3 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Faulty Distributor Cam Lobes
« on: Today at 04:28:34 AM »
After driving 4259R for 25 miles, it came to a halt 2 miles from home, and won't start.

I checked all the jets in the 40DCOE Webers, the float level, the pump action was squirting properly, the 4 spark plugs were clean and firing, but the engine just would not start.

I checked the timing, and it was slightly out on #1 cylinder, so I set the light to go out at 8'BTDC, so that is when the points are opening, and the coil would be firing.

I tried to start it, but nothing.

I checked the timing again, but this time, by mistake, I was checking the timing on #4 cylinder, not #1.

I have a vertical line drawn on the big alternator pulley that is perpendicular at TDC on #1, and is 180' out when firing on #4 cylinder, so I was checking #4 thinking it was #1.

#4 was firing at TDC so I rocked the car in 1st gear, and checked #1, and that was firing at 8'BTDC. I have no way of knowing what the reading was on #2 and #3 cylinders, as I was checking TDC from the markings on the flywheel.

I have now fitted another distributor, and timed it at 8' BTDC. I am charging up the battery again to see if it will burst into life. If not, I have run out of ideas.

I have never known a distributor to have faulty cam lobes. I checked to see if the shaft was wobbly, but it seemed to be perfectly straight so no eccentricity from faulty bearings.