Author Topic: Marcos FS (no affiliation)  (Read 1290 times)

Offline cal44

Marcos FS (no affiliation)
« on: Thursday,November 15, 2012, 08:12:11 AM »
Thought I'd seen everything.  If I didn't have to pull the Elan engine I sure would be tempted for all the wrong reasons.
Mike
http://www.barnfinds.com/1962-marcos-luton-gullwing/
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Marcos FS (no affiliation)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 17, 2012, 12:00:59 AM »
Now that is a rare car Mike, I don't know how many of them were produced but it wouldn't surprise me to find it was in single figures.  But as for restoring one, no, not for me. If you have good carpentry skills they are very simple to work on,  I replaced both cockpit inner floors on my Marcos and also the rear boot when the exhaust got knocked into it one night and burnt through....    ::)

But if we're talking Marcoses,  (or whatever the plural is ?) then here's a shot of the car that preceded the gullwing, appropriately called "The Ugly Duckling" and being raced by Jem Marsh himself at, I think, Donnington.  I'm not sure of the second photo but have a vague memory that it's the one following the Luton Gullwing and nicknamed "The Breadvan" but it has the styling hints of the 1800GT which followed it. That shot is from Oulton Park in the 80s IIRC. (I wasn't so good at dating my photo albums in those days)

Brian

ps - if you're interested in Marcos Cars, there's a Brooklands book which collates all the road tests and has a lot of history from the Ugly Duckling forwards. In fact I'd say it's one of the best in the Brooklands series that I've got as far as research & detail goes.