Author Topic: Engine oil for modified S2  (Read 714 times)

Offline Lyngeled

Engine oil for modified S2
« on: Monday,November 13, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
Hi
Can anyone help me to find the right engine oil for my S2 (Renault). It have a crossflow head, banana manifold, DCOE 45 Weber carburetors, I don't know about the camshaft though. It don't seems worn but I don't know.

Regards

Offline jbcollier

Re: Engine oil for modified S2
« Reply #1 on: Monday,November 13, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
There isn't a single "right" oil.  You are looking for an oil made to an older formulation for its higher ant-wear additives.  Oils rated SG, MA (motorcycle oils), for example; or oils specially formulated (Penrite, Millers, Castrol Classic, etc).  Best to use one that is available locally rather than one that has to be shipped in.  Traditionally these engines used 10w50, 15w50, 20w50 grades.  Myself, I use Penrite Classic Light (20w60) which I buy locally as the Canadian distributor is in town.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,November 13, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
John, you previously made a good point that the TC motor doesn't require higher levels of ZDDP because the cams sit in a trough of oil but the Renault motor is a push rod motor so wouldn't the cam be oiled by oil spraying around and not by sitting in a trough of oil and thus require higher levels of ZDDP?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Monday,November 13, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
Yes, the TC engine's tappets are very well lubricated as they run in an oil "bath" and the somewhat lower ZDDP levels found in modern oils are not a concern.

Regarding Renault engines, it is not easy to make definitive statements regarding ZDDP levels in oil.  It is clearly not the case that every spray-lubricated-cam, flat-tappet engine will have problems with low ZDDP oil.  Some clearly do, some don't.  Initial break-in is very important.  More important than ZDDP levels?  Maybe.  Remember, these engines also had failed cams and lifters when oils had the higher ZDDP levels.  More failures now?  It would appear so.

A local Europa owner had his genuine 807G engine overhauled and warmed up.  I'm sure they used high ZDDP oil, and they broke it in correctly.  His engine is currently apart with, you guessed it, failed lifters and cam.  I wasn't personally involved in the build but perhaps the head was shaved below spec which results in a different contact pattern between the cam lobe and the lifter.  Or, maybe, the owner revved the crap out of it from mile zero.

What would I do?

TC motor?  Nothing, it is not an issue.  Use a good quality oil and that's that.

Crossflow or Wedge?  Follow the service manual's recommendations, break in the engine properly, don't run it hard until the engine has properly warmed up and use an reputable oil with a higher percentage of ZDDP.