Author Topic: sooted up plugs  (Read 3553 times)

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
Re: sooted up plugs
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,October 11, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »
Agree with Tony my Elan and Europa had the same problem on 7s changed to 6s and the problem has never reoccurred

Offline phil

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,October 11, 2017, 11:55:24 PM »
Hello all,

I am assuming a BP6 is the same as a BP6ES?

Thanks

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #17 on: Thursday,October 12, 2017, 12:20:27 AM »
Hi Phil,

BP6ES is the plug I have fitted, the "E" refers to the thread length on the plug, "P" for the extended insulator aspect of the design. BTW, there are some interesting responses to the plug choices, I didn't realise so many others were also running hotter plugs as well.

Brian 

Offline buzzer

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,October 12, 2017, 05:17:25 AM »
I'm running 6's and NGKs.  running 6's in my Westfield ford crossflow, 7's will cause starting problems/fouling if I'm not thrashing it.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline phil

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,November 11, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
Hello All,

I have now fitted the new plugs and gave it a run, the front 2 cylinders were still sooting up, I have now used the colortune which showed that they were running too rich, I have adjusted them and also used the carb balancer, again they were both quite different.
It now starts on the button and all seems well.
I have just received a cork gasket from SJS for the airbox as it was missing, what is the best way to hold it in place whilst fitting it please?
Thanks
Phil

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #20 on: Saturday,November 11, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
Now that's great news Phil, it's good when someone feeds back how they got on and solved the problem. From what you say about imbalance it sounds like the carbs have been off and replaced without checking balance at some point.   

I must admit until you mentioned it I didn't realise there should have been a gasket on the airbox, I've never seen one on my car....  :-[

For any gasket that could move about during fitting I usually put a dab of Hylomar or similar to hold in in place whilst tightening up. I don't think I'd use the Instant gasket type sealants there, at least not without checking for petrol compatibility.

Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 04:40:47 AM »
Double sided tape (trimmed to gasket width) on one side of the gasket is what I used.