Author Topic: Ongoing builds  (Read 10069 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Ongoing builds
« Reply #30 on: Friday,January 19, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
Nice job buzzer! Im with bda , cant wait for more pictures.  The black is perfect.
 I also like the firewall details!
Dakazman

Offline Tubes63

« Reply #31 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 12:59:56 AM »
Chaps,

Been lurking on this forum for a while trying to gather info for my own restoration. I’ve been documenting the progress here: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1672442

I’m at the point where I’ll probably need some expert assistance so expect incoming stupid questions imminently

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #32 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 01:48:46 AM »
Where in the UK are you?

That car looks to be in a very similar condition to a lot that have been renovated by members on this forum.

So it is not beyond hope.

Offline Tubes63

« Reply #33 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 03:09:45 AM »
Where in the UK are you?

That car looks to be in a very similar condition to a lot that have been renovated by members on this forum.

So it is not beyond hope.

Kettering, so just up the M11/A14 from yourself.

The chassis is in very good nick from initial inspection so I’m pleased :)

Offline BDA

« Reply #34 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 06:09:47 AM »
 :Welcome:, tubes63!!

There are no stupid questions so don't be shy here. I look forward to following your progress on your new baby!

Edit: I just read your posts on pistonheads. Very nice story! That Spyder frame should be a great foundation and the body looks good except for the damage on the wheel arch. Your father's friend, Richard, sounds like a competent wrench so you shouldn't have a lot of the PO issues many of us (and whoever buys my car :) ) have.

You've already discovered how tight a squeeze it is for your 6'4" frame. Your only option there are modifications. You can start by having a couple of inches taken out of your legs and then your can think about lowering the seat as much as you can (or vice versa).

Tell us your plans. Are you going to keep it basically stock? Do some mods?

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 07:10:46 AM by BDA »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #35 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »
Hi there, I've been following your Pistonheads thread and wondered if you were also a member here.  The spyder chassis looks relatively new (in "Old Lotus" terminology  ;)  ) so someone's obviously been looking after it carefully for you !

Brian

Offline Tubes63

« Reply #36 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 09:17:55 AM »
Thanks guys :)

The car is obviously not standard as it is, with the new chassis and Crossflow engine etc.. but I am keen to bring it back to how it was when it was running last - which will probably mean not removing or adding any modifications unless absolutely necessary. I especially like the idea of not doing anything that wouldn’t have been available to owners in the 70s.

However reality bites hard so we’ll have to see whether I can stick to plan. Have been looking for cam followers (lifters) for the 807 engine (as the stems on mine are a little pitted, though the faces are fine) and can’t find any cheaper than €300  :o

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #37 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
Are they loose in the bores?  If not, I wouldn’t be concerned.  There are several places that can resurface them which I would recommend if you are changing or regrinding the cam.

Offline Tubes63

« Reply #38 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
Not loose, so maybe I’ll reuse them.

Offline BDA

« Reply #39 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 11:47:08 AM »
A little pitting may enhance oil retention!  :)

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #40 on: Sunday,January 21, 2018, 12:01:29 PM »
Chaps,

Been lurking on this forum for a while trying to gather info for my own restoration. I’ve been documenting the progress here: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1672442

I’m at the point where I’ll probably need some expert assistance so expect incoming stupid questions imminently

Great car and an even better story! Can't wait to follow the progress of your rebuild. As a 6'2" person myself, brace yourself for a lot of "what ever were you thinking" comments from your unenlightened friends. Tragically, the only negative aspect of this project is the eviction of a family of largish mammals from your battery box who are now homeless. Sad.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday,January 23, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
I have faded in to obscurity! But I will return!!

Offline BDA

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday,January 23, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »
I didn't forget you,Chuck. I didn't include you because I knew (thought) that you were still working on your house and not actively working on your car. Is that still the case? I know we'd like to see your progress on both!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday,January 24, 2018, 04:49:08 PM »
Actually I got logged out and was having trouble resetting my password. Luckily my phone still had the old log in so I was just now able to change it. I am still on the house unfortunately....no progress on the lotus front...One day....

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #44 on: Sunday,January 28, 2018, 07:35:54 AM »

...one long front suspension bolt (the one that slides into the footwell) is rusted solid in situ.
I am worried that heat necessary to try to get the suspension bolt out will actually set fire to the fibreglass.

Alex in Norfolk.

It is not welding.

I need lots of heat to bash out the long suspension bolt on the front arm. The bolt must be 9" long, and it is very stuck.

If you have an arc (stick) welder, you can use it to create flameless heat by connecting it to both ends of the bolt.  ...Good, secure connections will prevent arcing and sparks.

Alex:  An arc welder can be used as a source of resistance heat.  ....We often thaw frozen metal pipes by connecting one of the welder cables to each end of the pipe.  ...The "short circuit" causes the pipe to heat up and melt the ice within.   ...This same method can be used to heat the bolt, without any flame.  ...Good, secure connections eliminate any sparks.

The amperage capability of the welder will determine how quickly, and how hot, the bolt will heat.

Well to get that top front suspension bolt out, I had to take the shell off the chassis. I tried heating everything, and just melted the rubber in the arm bushes.

Then I found that all of the inner metal collars on the bushes on the suspension arms were rusted to the bolts, both top and bottom, plus the shox on the top bolt was rusted in place and I had to cut that off the top long bolt.

So now I am cutting the metal inner bushes off the arms with a battery powered angle grinder. I have flattened 3 batteries doing this, so I am waiting for 1 to be fully charged before resuming cutting.

The 4 x 1/4" bolts on the steering rack are also corroded in place, so next job is to find out how I can separate the two halves of the rack clamps to get the rack off. Hopefully I can save the aluminium clamps, as I bet they are unobtainable. 

It seems everything on this car is badly corroded, but the actual chassis seems OKish, so I will take it to the local garage for local welding repairs.