Author Topic: New member  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Yellowbelly

« on: Friday,July 14, 2017, 03:20:12 AM »
Hi i am new on here just posting a few pictures by way of an introduction.

I purchased my car a number of years back on that well known auction site having a bit of spare cash from the sale of a motorbike. I have always wanted a Europa since i was a kid and many years spent playing with kit cars means that i am not phased by the size of a project. The story that i was told when i bought the car is that it was owned by a farmer who left it laid up in an outbuilding with a rotten chassis. The guy i bought the car from was into hill climbing so he converted it into a moncoque central tub and hung the front and rear sub-frames from a K series metro onto it with the 1.0 engine for the class he was going to enter. He was in the process of moving to France and had a boat restoration business so i bought the car from him. Since then i have been gathering bits to put it back together again and will be looking to start later this year. My plan is to replace the subframes with those from an MG TF with the coil over shocks and i have a 1.8 K Series from an Elise which has Jenvey Throttle Bodies, Fast Road Cams and Flowed Head and should be good for about 195 HP. There is currently no interior bar a single fibreglass bucket seat and i will be doing my own layout hopefully to turn it into a comfortable GT car. My plan is to have it ready for when i retire in a few years to go to Europe and trace some of the historic rally routes and great driving roads.

Offline Yellowbelly

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: Friday,July 14, 2017, 03:22:48 AM »
Couple more photos

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #2 on: Friday,July 14, 2017, 05:21:15 AM »
Welcome!
Interesting work done to your project. Should be a screamer with the Elise engine!!
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
 :Welcome:

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 14, 2017, 06:13:36 AM »
 :Welcome: , Yellowbelly!

That looks like a very interesting project! Please keep us informed about about your progress!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Friday,July 14, 2017, 08:24:44 AM »
 :Welcome: Welcome to the forum, Yellowbelly. Yup, interesting project indeed. Looking forward to seeing more. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Friday,July 14, 2017, 09:39:24 AM »
Hi and another  :Welcome:

I recognise that name and looking at the member map, we're almost neighbours !

I've not seen one with a transverse mounting before but with the modern Lotus's having that layout it has surprised me that no-one has done it before. I guess the custom chassis requirement puts off most folks.

There's a guy on the Yahoo group with a K series in his S2, I think it was the standard vvc unit mated to an NG3 so lower power than your idea but even so he's been very pleased with the power increase. I can see a lot of interest in how your project goes along.

Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,July 15, 2017, 02:42:37 AM »
 :Welcome:

I admire anyone who takes on a project to put a car back on the road! Keep us well informed. Great group of guys on this forum with a wealth of knowledge.

Offline Yellowbelly

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,July 15, 2017, 03:19:13 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys. I am certainly not daunted by a project like this having been playing with fibreglass from a very early age (Very encouraging Dad) and having built more kit cars than i care to remember i relish the challenge of solving engineering problems.

Brian - I am only at Toynton St Peter so if you fancy arranging a get together sometime that would be great.

I am after the parts to convert the passenger door to electric windows so if anyone knows of any bits for sale in the UK at a reasonable price please let me know.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,August 26, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
Welcome Yellowbelly. Yes close to retirement here also😀.
Dakazman