Author Topic: Observations on 3 Europa projects...  (Read 965 times)

Offline katanaman

Observations on 3 Europa projects...
« on: Saturday,October 13, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
  Hi!  Today was the day I met Lotus club people near Portland, Oregon.  I went to get new ideas on the problems I am having.  Note one was that there is a lot of harness tossing going on, and harnesses from people like www.ezwiring.com are being suggested as my salvation.  Under $200, with labels each 5 inches in the looms, with the updated fuses, more fuses, and extensive instructions, I think this would be quicker, and more resolute.  I also saw bonnet latches called AeroLatch, a British product, that although bulky, appear to have a better grip on the subject.  I might go that route, too.  As long as the car won't ever be stock, this might make more sense.
  Coming from the MGB community, I am surprised to see that there were some Focus engines there that had injection, but are being carbureted instead.  There are a lot of injected MGB's out there, so I find this odd.  I thought that one of the advantages was to use the ECU components and enjoy the new technology.
  So... coming home, I felt inclined to go to a new harness from EZ Wiring, and keep the British Wiring wires I bought for my MGB if it ever needs them.  I think I could resolve the problems quicker this way, and I see on the website that EZ also offers new gauge packages and switches that could fully resolve all of the wiring issues I am having.
  I was shown an area in the frame that is prone to cracking, so I will inspect mine next out of curiosity.  There were 2 S-2's that had the frame off work done, and those painted frames look clean and sharp.  In the inspections today, I found out that my S-2 has adjustable lowers in the rear.  WooHoo!
  I also found out that there is some redundancy with wiring harnesses in the engine compartment, as I suspected.  Next for me will be to clean a lot of this out, as I ponder that EZ Wiring harness conversion...
  Oddly, I am gaining confidence that I'll get this going soon...                                  Dan

Offline Steve

Re: Observations on 3 Europa projects...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 14, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
I built my own harness, simply because I had a ton of mil spec wiring on hand.  I did, however use a street rod fuse & relay panel, ( Ron Francis) and terminated the wires with the Lucas "bullet" connectors when ever possible.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/

Their catalog is a good read, in itself, for wiring tips.