Author Topic: Ebay prices  (Read 1017 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Ebay prices
« on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 01:55:31 AM »
Ok, this is a knee-jerk reaction post but I'm stunned.  This is a UK Ebay auction but is this what parts prices are these days over your side of the pond ?

As a slight (very slight) interest I'd started watching this item, primarily because I've noticed this year the choke "twist & hold" on my car has started to slip down and occasionally it's caused me to stall the car coming out of our lane. So I thought a new choke cable would be a good idea, hence an Ebay search and this came up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221132860690?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

As you can see, the choke & heater cable, together with a bent steel bracket went for £111 GBP, which is roughly $160 ?  I must be well out of the loop......

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Re: Ebay prices
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »
 :WTF: Holy cow Batman!  I'm with you.  I don't understand... And it got multiple bids to boot.  A 6' cable, the longest you'd need for the Europa can be had for less than $30 US and the bracket... Well a high school student could pound one out in shop in a single period.  Think it could be the knobs?
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
Let me preface my comments by this.  Six months ago I sold a '69 Boss 302 distributor for $1800.  Yes, you read correctly.

As the prices go up on certain collector cars certain people want factory items for their cars.  And a factory stock car usually sells for more than the modified one IMHO.

As for the cost of a piece of angle steel and a couple of cables...........I got nothing.  Do the re-pop knobs look the same?
There is an answer.........I don't know what it is.

Being a parts whore..........and having no sense when it comes to buying spare factory parts..........I'm the wrong guy when it comes to buying logic.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »
Think it could be the knobs?

I don't know, I assumed it must be so I looked closer because there have been bidding wars when knobs with short-run logos come up (cigarette lighters for example). 

But to me it looks an odd combination.  Ok, I don't have an S2 so I could easily be talking total rubbish here (and that's not unusual  :) ) but to me the choke & heater knobs are different styles.  The heater looks the same as on my '72 TC, the '68 Elan and is common for the period. The choke is bulkier and the logo doesn't match anything I know although it does come close to some of in the period (60's Fords ?).   

I know Lotus had a parts-bin reputation when it comes to getting cars out of the door, but surely they'd have matched up 2 visible components sitting so close together ? It did make me wonder if there's something deeper, like it's off a S1,  47GT or something ? Even so, a choke cable is a choke cable and with the benefit of all this research it seems new ones in the same pattern as mine are available over here, so that's where I'm heading.

Brian