Author Topic: Correction of lockset comments...  (Read 1713 times)

Offline katanaman

Correction of lockset comments...
« on: Monday,October 08, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »
  Last time I talked I mentioned that I was trying a lockset called USCAN Utility Lock.  It will unlock, but it apparently doesn't have the inner mechanism like the car lock has -- it will lock, but then you unset the lock as the key is returned to the neutral position so the key can be removed.  So... unless one is willing to put up with just unlocking, this cheap alternative doesn't work..  Sorry for the bad info.  I still feel that there might be a cure -- I'll talk to the locksmith people I bought the locks from -- hopefully there might be a way to make these work...                                                                                                                        Dan

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Correction of lockset comments...
« Reply #1 on: Monday,October 08, 2012, 11:27:30 PM »
It might be worth dismantling one of the new locks to compare with your old ones and see if a bit of filing would help matters.  I'm no locksmith by any means but these Lotus locks seem to be pretty low-tech and so perhaps you can get the new tumbler/barrel to fit in the old body & work as intended ?

Offline Steve

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,October 09, 2012, 06:23:50 AM »
There's a guy in Texas who specializes in Import locks, Cars & motorcycles. He re keyed my boot & bonnet locks for about (as I recall) $75.00 or so.

Here's a link:

http://www.steveslockshop.com/

He is familiar with the lotus lock cylinders.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »
Why are you needing to replace your lock cylinders?  Are yours missing?

My car came with NO keys (my dad must have taken them with him to the grave).  I was able to get all three keys cut by using the key codes I found on the locks.  I can post details if anyone is interested.  I used Steve's Lock Shop and http://www.triple-c.com/Lotus_Replacement_Car_Keys.cfm .
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline katanaman

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
  Yes, 3929R.  I picked up the car with just one ignition key.  All of the other locks are just there, and the one on the engine/boot lid is completely missing.  I just found old info on this car a couple of nights ago -- on the Lotus Europa Central registration page, including photos.  It is frustrating to see that the lock was there in 2007!!!  Also missing now, of course, are the wiper arms, the antenna -- there must have been more body work, explaining the severed wiring harness in the rear...  And, I see that the "L" and the "T" were intact at that point, also!  Anyway, I am about to contact Steve's and see what I can get done.  But... tell me about this "code" I can get off of the lock cylinder.  This sounds enticing!                              Thanks, Dan

Offline 3929R

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 07:31:37 PM »
The keys can be cut by code.  The only issue is knowing which blank to cut the code onto.  The two locks shops listed above  were both great to work with.  I only had one incorrect key cut and that was correct on the second try. 

I removed the electrical cap off the back of the ignition switch to find a paper label with a hand written three digit code that was the key code.  I did this with the lock still in place.  Even in extreme Lotus position I could not read the label.  So I used a digital camera. 

I also removed the removed the drivers door lock (luckily the doors were not locked) and rear deck lid lock (after removing the hinge pins to get the deck lid off), then removed the lock cylinders from these locks to find their key codes (also 3 digits? but stamped on metal). 
I don't remember all the details, but I made this note about the rear deck lock: "The lock has a stop that prevents the cylinder from being taped out unless the lock pins are depressed with something such as a bobby pin."  Beyond that I think disassemble was somewhat intuitive.

Here is the original thread with advice I got, some better than others.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotuseuropa/message/109471

Of course you can buy proper locks with keys from RD.  He has them listed on his web page.  $104 for a door set and $97 for a bonnet and engine cover set.

By the way, I found my wiper arms when I got the key and opened my front hood.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Mark
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 07:36:01 PM by 3929R »
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA