Author Topic: I've got a big package!  (Read 1070 times)

Offline katanaman

I've got a big package!
« on: Wednesday,October 03, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
  Okay...  It's from British Wiring...  I now have the specific colored wiring to restore the temporary repairs in the rear harness that were supposed to get me going north.  I actually expect to find more carnage under the harness tape, but the lights do work properly now...
  On the money saving tips front, I came across a surprise yesterday.  I restored some of a MGB in February - on and found out after driving around topless that I might have wasted money -- I put in all new locksets as there were no matches and only 2 of 4 keys required.  Okay if my hardtop was on, but a little redundant with the top stowed...
  Anyway, I went to a locksmith's to get new ignition keys, and to begin attacking the other lock problems.  They told me they could match keys to my locks for $25.  As I looked around the shop, though, I found a product that looked identical to my original lock.  It is called USCAN Utility Lock, and it's in a 7/8" size, a lock normally used for "drawer and door applications".  I bought 2 for $14, as the keys are matched -- trailer guys use these to get matching locksets on exterior storage doors.  I only have to drill one hole each, and install like the originals.  I noted that there is a metal reinforcement against the fiberglass that mimics the "flat" on the cylinder.  This lockset is only slightly smaller -- both "flats" and cylinder size, and I feel that it could be worth the effort to give these a try before I spend at least another $100 for a replacement from the Lotus supply place.
  I found all this out because I am trying to remove the window motor to breathe more life into it.  You had to know something evil was behind all of this!  Hey -- it's 70 degrees here in Ocean Park!  It could be much, much worse!                                                                                                       Dan

Offline cal44

Re: I've got a big package!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 04, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
I give you credit Dan............you are gettin' with it.  I am enjoying your adventure and hope the best for your project.

MIke
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline katanaman

Re: I've got a big package!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 04, 2012, 11:40:05 PM »
  Now, I am hooking up with local Lotus club members - 120 miles away, who are in the process of restoring 2 S-2 Europas.  I will finally get a chance to see a "real" S-2 to note details such as just how much wiring harness is stock, to determine how much in mine is from another car, etc.  I will be able to confirm where the reappropriated components such as radiator fans and windscreen washer bottles really belong.  I will get an idea how others are dealing with problems with conversions and issues such as greater heating concerns, etc.  And, on getting home, I have already had feedback on the original engine bay mounted voltage regulator being redundant due to the Mazda's being concealed in the alternator.  Mine was hot to the touch just being hooked up to the battery.  I feel that this still is indicative to harness problems yet to be discovered, though...   Dan