Author Topic: Coronado Vintage Races  (Read 746 times)

Offline cal44

Coronado Vintage Races
« on: Friday,September 21, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »
This weekend on the Naval Air base in Coronado.  Will take some pix and post this weekend.  Lucky for me the event is just across the water from the house.  If anyone wants to meet up tomorrow or Sunday email me.  But beware, I have a very short attention span (five year old) so I will be leaving the event around 11:00 to 11:59 am so I can be back home to the critters.
Plus, the sun shinning off the concrete tarmac is an arse kicker and my eyes, even with sun glasses, suffers greatly.

I will be in my "Gus" straw cowboy hat, jeans and Blundies.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline cal44

Re: Coronado Vintage Races
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 24, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »
Here are a couple of pix from this weekend.  The Maroon car is a Sabra, the man that restored it lives up the road in Escondido Ca. and must be the best one in existence, he is also a Lotus guy.

The red Marcos is one of my favs and if it were not for Lotus I would have an older Marcos GT in the garage

Lotus 17

And what good is West coast racing without the famous hot shoe John Morton driving a Sunbeam Tiger for Buck Tripple.
Mr. Morton is very nice and always willing to talk cars.  For those of you that are a little foggy on who he is, just search BRE Datsun.  This guy used to hammer it out with the best of them.

« Last Edit: Monday,September 24, 2012, 01:53:19 PM by cal44 »
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 24, 2012, 10:42:45 PM »
Great pictures Mike, glorious weather, showroom standard cars, it looks like it was a good day's racing. 

The Marcos brought back memories, I had an Marcos 1800 Volvo for around 20yrs and it always attracted attention because even over here there weren't many around.  Apart from leaking like a sieve it was the most comfortable car I've ever driven, despite the hard suspension you were almost lying down so it was very relaxing on motorway trips.

The Sunbeam looks really chunky as well. We don't see that many Tigers over here (I can't remember seeing any ?) and they are mostly kept OEM standard by the concours boys. But that Tiger looks great with those minilites on.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 26, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
Brian,

there is quite a following of Tigers in the U.K.....well.....for those that are interested in Tigers.  The U.K Tiger club has a good website and lot's o' pictures.   I just got my issue of Sports Cars and Exotics and what do you know, it has pictures of John Morton racing BRE Datsuns during their heyday.

Mike
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Monday,October 01, 2012, 07:12:07 AM »
Nice pictures, Mike. I have a soft spot for the Marcos as well, and the name sits firmly near the top of my want list.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor