Author Topic: Head Gasket or Head  (Read 4345 times)

Offline cal44

Head Gasket or Head
« on: Saturday,September 15, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
Well since the engines in TC Europa's and Elans are basically the same I thought I would use your shoulders to cry on.

The Elan stated running rough and I was using coolant at an alarming rate and could smell it out of the exhaust.  As you might imagine ,  I was hoping it is a bad dream I would soon wake from, not to be.

I don't build engines, my mind has spent decades learning things, engine building was not one of them.

Soooo, I pulled the cam cover.........milkshake city.........I'm screwed.............

I have Miles Wilkens book so I figure what the heck.  So now I have started removing things but at a very slow rate.  I have a history of not finishing projects I start.  Sadly the engine only has 4K on it.  Built by the prior owners engine guy.....guess that didn't go so well, thanks buddy.  A horse head is on it's way.

So far this doesn't look like brain surgery............wait!............I'm not a doctor either................

I don't plan on pulling out the engine just yet as one of my Lotus spiritual guidance councillors in Arizona wrote and stated to "hold on dude,  could be something simple".  Guess he forgot, "I don't build engines"......but, I'm  game and winter is on the way.

If Paul Rogers can still take care of business at 62 why can't I?

Mike
« Last Edit: Saturday,September 15, 2012, 02:54:29 PM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline benbeames

Re: Head Gasket or Head
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,September 15, 2012, 08:23:03 PM »
Sounds like you need to pull the body off the frame, remove the engine, split the case on your transmission, and re wire everything behind the dash. Then repeat on all of your cars.  :)

See!  Now don't you feel better about just having to pull the head?

No?  Well I tried.  You have my sympathy.
Ben

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,September 15, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
Hi Mike,

I saw the comment about your Elan on t'other forum and was really hoping it was just something simple and not a gasket. But although it might sound like a massive task, trust me, it's not as bad as you think.  I replaced the head gasket in my Elan last winter because the water pump had gone in the front cover, and as you'll know from Miles' book, the only way to do that one is to take of both head & sump.

So, Game on.  Here's my take on the job which might give you a few ideas and if not, well at least you'll know you're on a well trodden path.

1. get your digital camera and take pictures before you undo things. Wrap the camera in plastic film to keep it clean if it's not a dedicated workshop one. (it really is worth getting a cheap, 2mp camera and leaving it in your workshop)
2. check the water pump pulley for any movement. Any play at all and budget for replacing the pump as well. Trust me, you don't want to do the head gasket and then find a water pump failure 6 months later.
3. I use lots of plastic tubs and put the bolts/nuts/washers from individual assemblies in separate ones. Carbs in one, exhaust in another, etc. Soak dirty ones in white spirit, etc, to clean while you carry on.  I also turn the engine to TDC before starting (check cam positions, distributor) just so that everything is set up for replacement.
4. I'm not strong so I remove as much as possible before lifting the head. If you have a hoist then you can leave the carbs in situ, but I tend to remove carbs & exhaust, cam sprockets to free the timing chain, but leave the cams in place.   
5. Remember the little bolts hidden underneath the head itself at the front cover !!!  (now ask me why I mention that)
6. The timing chain slipper pad is a nuisance, the angle it fits at gets in the way of a straight lift, you need to pull slightly at an angle once the seal to the block is broken.

Remove head gasket. Put in padded envelope. Send to previous builder....  :)

As the Haynes manuals are fond of saying "to replace, reverse the dis assembly instructions"   Actually, it's not so bad as it sounds, you just need to take things slowly. I think I took a week over mine doing a few hours each day and not rushing.  The only tip I can think of at the moment is to get 2 lengths of rod, threaded at one end if possible, to guide the head into position and keep the gasket located when you're putting it all back together.

Call in often for tea and sympathy...... 
« Last Edit: Saturday,September 15, 2012, 11:39:42 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,September 16, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
Mike,

I just helped replace a water pump on a TC Europa a few months ago. A head gasket replacement on an Elan is a breeze compared to WP replacement on a Europa TC, you don't have to pull the engine on an Elan. I've replaced the head gasket on three TC engines so I have a little bit of experience. Removing the head for the first time may seem daunting but if you follow the manual and Wilkins book, you can be successful.

Give me a call when you're ready to do it, I'll be glad to help out. With you owning TC engined Lotus' you need to pop your WP/head gasket cherry some time.

Joji

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 07:14:44 AM »
I'm curious to know more about the 'Miles Wilkins' book. Is this a book of wisdom on Lotus maintenance? Sounds as though it is recommended. Where does one get a copy? Can it be ordered through a regular chain book store?

I'm riding along with you here, Mike. I'll be checking your progress with much interest. :welder:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Steve

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 08:53:18 AM »
The books fall into the "rare enthusiast book" category. It's out of print, but shows up on ebay from time to time.

Here's an Amazon.com link. I hope you're sitting down.

http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Twin-Cam-Engine-Miles-Wilkins/dp/0760316929

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »
As Steve says, it's an "enthusiast's book" and has almost become legendary. It is very good and basically covers how to strip & rebuild a TC engine with some excellent pictures. Lots of technical detail about timing, etc, with a fair portion of history about the engine thrown in.

Is it worth it ? Well, at the £20 or so mine cost when they first came out it is, but I'm not sure I'd be paying those prices for one. When it came out the Lotus manual was starting to get a bit dated (for example "Hylomar" was the best jointing material ever in that) and what Miles did was to update things into the 80s and also wasn't afraid to say when best practice had moved on.  That's a key thing really, it's a 1988 book, and now it's 24yrs old.  99% is still relevant and the mechanical advice is as good as ever, but I wouldn't say it's an essential purchase these days.

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
The books fall into the "rare enthusiast book" category. It's out of print, but shows up on ebay from time to time.

Here's an Amazon.com link. I hope you're sitting down.

http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Twin-Cam-Engine-Miles-Wilkins/dp/0760316929
HOLY CRAP!! I'm glad I was sitting down. Two new copies available in the $500 range, used copies ranging from $289 to $1100. I'm going to look into this book, though. Time to keep a look out for a more reasonably priced copy. Thanks for the heads up.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »
WOW   :huh: I'm sitting on a gold mine. Wonder if I should sell mine for $250.00 for a quick sale.  :pirate:

I looked again and that is for paperback !...Mine is a hard cover

« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 10:47:59 AM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline 3929R

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »
This book is available through at least 34 libraries.  If you are not near one of them, you might be able to have a local librarian get a copy through inter-library loan.  Once checked out you could do with it as you please in the privacy of your office.   http://www.worldcat.org/title/lotus-twin-cam-engine/oclc/52358346

Or http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=8137673947
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »
If you really do want one, this might be worth looking at.   I don't know how legal this link is, but allegedly there are copies available in Europe.  Several years ago I bought the Elise Parts List in a bound hardback book from these people at a Lotus fair, all highly dubious given the obvious copyright breech but they seemed to be getting away with it.  I don't know anything more about them other than the website link.

http://www.lotus-books.com/engines.html   

I seem to recall there was some discussion on the Elan forums a while back about trying to get Miles to put it back into print (or why not a PDF version ?).   I think he tried to do so but it was too costly in the end ?

Offline cal44

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »
My Wilkins hardback copy was purchased last winter for $250.00 and I also bought a paperback copy for backup.  At shop hours running around $125.00 U.S an hour +/-, I thought it money well spent.

It is very good reading and I am learning......slowly.

By the way, Norm Millers book on Sunbeam Tigers sells, on average for $1500.  And, depending on the condition and first fifty in print (print error) I have seen them go into the 2K range.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline benbeames

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
 :huh:

I never realized Sunbeam Tiger owners were such an affluent bunch.  Seems I learn something new every day.

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
I emailed him(before I committed to the Zetec swap). It took a couple days, but he emailed back and said he has them. It would be ~$70 shipped to get one here. At this point, I don't really need it though.

If you really do want one, this might be worth looking at.   I don't know how legal this link is, but allegedly there are copies available in Europe.  Several years ago I bought the Elise Parts List in a bound hardback book from these people at a Lotus fair, all highly dubious given the obvious copyright breech but they seemed to be getting away with it.  I don't know anything more about them other than the website link.

http://www.lotus-books.com/engines.html   

I seem to recall there was some discussion on the Elan forums a while back about trying to get Miles to put it back into print (or why not a PDF version ?).   I think he tried to do so but it was too costly in the end ?

Online EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,September 19, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
By the way, Norm Millers book on Sunbeam Tigers sells, on average for $1500.  And, depending on the condition and first fifty in print (print error) I have seen them go into the 2K range.

(cough, splutter, spills coffee) how much ??????     Clearly Tigers have a great following over that side of the pond, at those prices you've moved from a workshop manual/marque history and into the realms of antiquarian book pricing !

Pete - thanks for the update on the link, when I posted I did wonder if I was leading folks astray or they'd been shut down for copyright violation.