Author Topic: 7503  (Read 2049 times)

Offline AUSSIE

« on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
After asking Joe a couple of questions I figured I should introduce my car, albeit in pieces.
I recently shipped the car to the USA from the UK.  Being an Australian working on an English car with Italian Carbs in the USA I am often confused!
I am sure I will be reaching out to all of the experts on here to ask for help. 
The car has an interesting history being one of the last ever made and owned by Dennis Jewel a technician at Lotus.(third from right)
It has been in a garage in England since the early 1980's and I now have the pleasure of restoring it to its former glory.
Restoration should be done in twice as many years as ....... (enter any number you like).
« Last Edit: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 02:27:43 PM by AUSSIE »

Offline BDA

Re: 7503
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 08:31:14 PM »
 :Welcome: Aussie!

I can understand your international confusion! Somehow I'm sure you'll get it straightened out!

What are your plans for the car? Are you keeping it stock or are you planning on doing any modifications? Let us know if we can help and keep posting pictures!

Good luck!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 11:27:21 PM »
What is the full chassis number?

I used to own JEX 591 N, the 5th last TCS ever made.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,February 24, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mr Aussie. That's a very interesting car you have there. In the top picture the cut line of the sail panel behind the roof seems to be modified. Is this just an illusion (picture angle) or is it indeed non-standard in this area? Looking forward to seeing more of your project. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline AUSSIE

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,February 24, 2016, 09:25:38 AM »
This is the car.  I would be interested in hearing anymore history that you have on it.  I Know that the last time it was registered in England was in the early 80's.  My Uncle parked it the garage and there it stayed until November last year when it arrived in California. 

No its stock, the roof paint is peeling is all.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,February 24, 2016, 11:30:02 PM »
I bought JEX591N from Hendon Way Motors in 1978 for £3,595.

It had a floppy gear change, a silencer which did nothing to silence the exhaust, and the paintwork had bubbles in quite a few places.

I put a new gear change on it, new exhaust, and had it resprayed. They sprayed the gold lines on.

When my 1st son came along in July 1979, he wouldn't fit in it, so I reluctantly sold it for £4,500 to an English buyer.

When I was driving the car down the Marylebone Road once, I was sitting at the lights, lights went green, someone crossing from my right went through a red light, I hit the brakes, and 5 litres of emulsion paint in the passenger footwell fell over, so I drove 15 miles home, took the carpets out and put them in the bath to wash them. I had to change one of the carpets, and all Lotus had was honey coloured carpets, so there was a slight colour change that side.

I have heaps of photos from 1978. If you were ever selling the car, I would buy it back (or swap it for a 1974 LHD black JPS car in immaculate condition with cash to balance).

Alex in Norfolk.   
« Last Edit: Wednesday,February 24, 2016, 11:35:17 PM by 4129R »

Offline 4129R

« Reply #6 on: Friday,March 04, 2016, 09:14:10 AM »
From what I can remember from 1989 when I sold that car, the chassis number should be 75032429P. The last Europa made is listed as 75032434.

It is a UK spec car, but it has a US Federal bodyshell, as that was all Chunky had left at the time !

I should be able to scan and post photos from 1989 on Monday.

If you need any help in getting parts to renovate the car, just ask. We can point you in the right direction.

I replaced the drivers door aluminium window frame in 1989 when a neighbour reversed into the door as he didn't see the car (low and black).

Alex in Norfolk.