Author Topic: Weber & Dellorto Carburettors by Des Hammill  (Read 3940 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Weber & Dellorto Carburettors by Des Hammill
« on: Monday,October 01, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »
Hi folks,

I recently picked up a copy of this book and thought it might be an idea to add a comment in case anyone else is thinking about buying it. So what's it like, is it worth buying ?

Ok, my copy is the 3rd Edition and has color photographs throughout. A small thing, but it does make a difference compared with some of the B/W illustrations you get in these things.

It's got an easy writing style and starts off with some basic explanation of how the carbs function and goes through a strip down showing all the working parts.  Unlike a pure workshop manual (like the Lotus one) the book is more like a mechanic is talking to you and pointing out the items with how and where they can fail rather than a simple list of instructions.  It's a nice style, just right IMO for the amateur mechanic heading off for the first time.

The chapters are logical, going through strip down/rebuild and then concentrating on items like air filtration, jets, chokes, etc. At this point it heads off into the realm of how you set up the jet sizes, etc, for a new installation. For me this has only passing interest because usually I'm just replacing things as specified by Lotus and I've got little interest in re-jetting for wilder cams, etc.  But if that's your field, well I guess this would be a good primer.

The sections on road tuning & problem solving are good additions, again these are centered around new applications but still good basic info. The author has also added sections on fuel quality & rating, hardened valve seats, etc which are useful comments because most of our reference books were written at a time when we didn't face these problems with older cars and I found these interesting reading.

So is it worth putting on the bookshelf ?

It depends. Using the Lotus manual I find their description of how the carbs should operate and how to set them up straightforward enough and let's face it, that has worked well enough for 20-odd years. So on that basis, if all you want is to set up the car and already have the Lotus manual, then you don't need this book.

I'd say this book is complimentary, it does show set-up and renovation but also, unlike a straight manual, it explains why & how things should be as they are. So it increases your understanding of the principles and hopefully gives you a better insight into future problem solving.   For the Elan owners on here, it's very much like the approach in Brian Buckland's book on rebuilding an Elan. You can manage fine without it as long as you have a workshop manual, but his book doesn't just tell you to do something, it explains why in an easy to digest format.

Brian

Offline BDA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Weber & Dellorto Carburettors by Des Hammill
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,July 10, 2014, 10:20:08 PM »
Yep, that looks like the one. It has the "sticker" printed on the cover to say it's the 3rd edition and in colour. I've just checked my copy and it was printed in 2011 but it doesn't appear to have had any revisions from the 3rd edition print run in 2005.

I re-read my first comments on the book and think they're still valid. You don't "need" this book to set up your car to standard, but I've dipped into it a couple of times since to check out things and because it has lots of colour photos it's easier to digest than the OEM manual if you're trying to figure how things work together.

Brian

Offline BDA

Re: Weber & Dellorto Carburettors by Des Hammill
« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 11, 2014, 08:02:21 AM »
Thanks Brian! Carbs is just one of my weak points so I might get a copy.

Offline cal44

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines