Author Topic: new owner '74 TCS misc ?  (Read 11354 times)

Offline 69merc

Re: new owner '74 TCS misc ?
« Reply #210 on: Monday,February 26, 2024, 08:28:23 AM »
Hi Lumbes, I installed my engine and trans as one unit from the top on my 74 TCS.  Here are some pics.  It was an easy one man job.  I always like to install and engine and trans as one unit if possible. 

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #211 on: Monday,February 26, 2024, 02:33:31 PM »
Excellent photos merc and hugely appreciated.  After seeing all the advice posted I am definitely waiting for the 365 to be finished so I can mate it to the engine then install as one unit.  To install above or below, I have some time to set up for both and think over what will work best for my scenario.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #212 on: Monday,February 26, 2024, 07:38:58 PM »
Pulled the original radiator out tonight.  I could be interested in having it restored but for now just happy to have a new replacement on hand.  Tilting it from side to side you can hear a considerable amount of flake traveling.  Really, it is rather alarming that I was cooling my engine with these.  Well no longer, I have all new tubes, hoses and everything for the cooling system to go with the engine rebuild.  I am also broke but I believe in the journey and am overjoyed to be walking it.   

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #213 on: Wednesday,March 06, 2024, 12:00:25 PM »
What would a good temp range be for the rad switch?  Am I looking for a 90C-85C or would something that starts the fan sooner be of better interest?  Thanks!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #214 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 07:20:22 AM »
This is a TC rad and the rad fan switch is in the hot side of the rad.  You can't have a rad fan switch that turns off at a temp lower than the thermostat closes.  Typically you run a 72° or 80° thermostat.  As long as you are 5° or so above, you should be fine.  Not many options available if your new rad takes the "otter" style rad fan switch.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #215 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 03:30:05 PM »
My rad took an M22x1.5 screw in switch that was easy enough to find online.

Went to install the new clutch and new pressure plate today and while using a clutch alignment tool it dawned on me that I am probably jumping the gun here...or maybe not but it made me pause and ask, am I missing a pilot bearing and seal here?  Was watching a video of a flywheel, clutch and pressure plate install and noticed they were replacing a bearing and seal that was located within the flywheel where as mine has no bearing present. 

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #216 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 04:33:26 PM »
I just found in a parts page it is the spigot bearing that I am missing.  Definitely am going to want to put that in before the clutch!  Time to measure the I.D. of the new flywheel and compare it to the old one.  With luck they are the same and I can order one from RD on Monday. 

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #217 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 05:16:18 PM »
The old flywheel has an insert pressed in to reduce the ID but if it wasn't there the ID would be a very close match to the new flywheel.  The old flywheel insert does not appear to be a bearing.  Looks like a solid part with no moving parts.  My intentions are to leave the old flywheel alone and hope a bearing/insert from RD goes right in the new one. 

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #218 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 05:33:12 PM »
A lot of vehicles use a bronze bushing.
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #219 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 05:58:27 PM »
Very cool to find out.  This is my first encounter with one but hoping once I take care of the Europa properly I can drag in another old Bristish sports car and begin the learning all over again.  I can see wear marks on the inside of the metal bushing that is in the old flywheel.  Can't really say how worn out it is but going with a new one is the plan.  If RD has them then I can expect to have it in my hands Tuesday or Wednesday.  From there, I'll install the bearing, put the clutch in with the flat side facing the flywheel and throw sum medium strength loctite on the bolts for the new pressure plate.  Probably should pick up some paint for the new pressure plate.  It is nice new clean metal that will probably begin to rust within no time if i leave it unpainted. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #220 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 06:04:39 PM »
Don’t paint the pressure plate!

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #221 on: Friday,March 29, 2024, 06:41:27 PM »
Thanks JB.  I definitely will not paint the pressure plate/clutch cover.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #222 on: Saturday,April 06, 2024, 05:31:17 PM »
Not a hugely important question, been doing some inventory to discover I am missing the hardware for the thermostat housing.

Anyone here know off the top of their head what those bolts are supposed to be?

Aside from that, put the new clutch on and the alternator pulley, new aluminum coolant header tank, the shifter, the repainted shift tube and a new grounding strap.

Hoping that the transmission will be finished soon I am stupidly excited to put this car back on the road. 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #223 on: Saturday,April 06, 2024, 06:44:12 PM »
Not a hugely important question, been doing some inventory to discover I am missing the hardware for the thermostat housing.

They are m7 bolts in various lengths providing you have a wedge or cross flow .

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #224 on: Saturday,April 06, 2024, 11:39:46 PM »

On a TC, those two bolts are 5/16" UNC with 1/2" heads.