Author Topic: Overheating ????  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Mikey likes it!

Re: Overheating ???? No More
« Reply #15 on: Monday,May 11, 2020, 02:04:00 PM »
After checking the thermostat , heater valve, radiator cap, and radiator....  Air bubbles or pockets, water pump flow, fan on radiator...   I checked the temp of each part and they all checked out great...    The problem is the Gauge.  I have one on order from D.B.  Thanks Ken.  Thanks to all that gave me ideas to check...
« Last Edit: Monday,May 11, 2020, 02:33:28 PM by Mikey likes it! »
73' TC Special

Offline jbcollier

Re: Overheating ????
« Reply #16 on: Monday,May 11, 2020, 03:01:25 PM »
You can adjust them.  Two slots in the back allow you to change the spring tension on the needle.

Offline Mikey likes it!

« Reply #17 on: Monday,May 11, 2020, 04:35:24 PM »
I was not aware of that JB...  I will try that tomorrow....  Thanks
73' TC Special

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #18 on: Monday,May 11, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »
I copied this page from an enthusiast website some time ago. It gives resistances vs temperature which is quite useful to check you have the correct sender.  If the voltage is right then as John says, there is adjustment on the gauge when you get it out.

Traditionally I've rigged up a sensor with some crocodile clip extension wires so that it can dangle in a kettle of hot water (best do that when the wife is out shopping  ;)  ) and then you can find where 100C is on the gauge quite easily.  Either note the position or adjust depending on how confident you feel. When I've done it on other cars I find it a bit fiddly to get exactly right but it's not complex.

Brian

Offline Mikey likes it!

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,May 13, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »
Thank-you EuropaTC !!!   Your attachment for calibration was very helpful !!   At the bottom of that sheet was information that cured my problem.  Because the ground was not good to my stabilizer,  it caused the temp gauge to read high at higher RPM.  If you look at my original quote, that is exactly the problem I did not know how to fix...   Soooooo now I have a NOS temp gauge for a Europa... Its for sale.... :beerchug:
73' TC Special

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,May 13, 2020, 10:50:02 PM »
Glad to be able to help although all credit is due to the guy (or gal ?) who originally created the charts. There's so much help around for our cars these days, the trick is finding it !

I found that chart very useful if only to say "nope, that's all right, must be something else I've done wrong...."    ;)

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,May 14, 2020, 07:01:19 AM »
That's a great chart, Brian! In spite of the fact that page hasn't been updated in a long time there is a lot of good information about a lot of topics there (http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm).

Offline JNS

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,May 14, 2020, 07:22:21 AM »
When I first got my Twin cam it used to overheat. Then I dicoverd the fan had been wired the wrong way and was pushing air away from the radiator.
 Just a thought.