Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

Protech damper setup

<< < (2/3) > >>

EuropaTC:
Hi again, and I'm glad to hear things are improving. I'm sure once everything is settled in you'll be pleased with the performance.

As promised I took some measurements from my car and have included 3 photos showing the easily accessible points.  I tend to make measurements from chassis points rather than bodywork, and use bolt centres where possible. The first is the front wishbone mount, which is approx 16.5cm from ground level. (that's the floor, not the cardboard sheets in the picture ! )

The second is the rear link, approx 18cm from ground level. The sump is 15.5cm at it's lowest point from the ground. All measurements to be taken with some leeway as I was only using a ruler so it's probably within 0.5cm but it gives an idea of how the car sits.

Brian

Jesspo:

Hi Brian,

today i found time for the measurment.

mine is front 15,5cm, rear 18,5cm.

i think i will lower the rear a bit an give the front a bit more, that i came to front 16cm, rear 18cm.

greetings Frank

EuropaTC:
Ok, this is a bit of a thread resurrection but I think it's better to keep the topic together rather than set another one running.   Since the last post in July I've been experimenting a bit more with my set-up and thought I'd add the latest findings in case anyone else gets the same spring/damper combination.

The front ride height was set to it's lowest setting on the dampers but now I've raised the front slightly although it's still lower than standard.  I've also lowered the rear of the car by degrees and moved from 140lb 14" springs to 160lb 12" springs as I couldn't get any lower rear height with a 14" spring.  I also wanted a bit more variance between Fr & Rear wheel frequencies hence the 160lb.

After much searching on the knowledgebase I found a comment (forget the poster, sorry) who mentioned that he'd measured clearances under the floorpan behind front & rear arches and had 5" Fr, 6" rear and apparently this advice originated with Richard from Banks Engineering.   So I measured mine there and...  yes, you've guessed it, 5" Fr, 6" rear.   I could really have saved a summer's worth of driving around the lanes  :-[     

Brian

......  but hey, it was fun finding out  ;)

Pfreen:
Hopefully you guys are still involved with thiscommunity.  Anyway, I bought the protech / spring setup from SJS for my tc special.  i set the ride heights to your numbers, no problem.  However, I checked the front camber and it is now -1-3/4 deg.  There is no clearance to modify my standard top a arms to get the standard 0 degree front camber by moving the top ball joint.  Did you all have this problem? 

jbcollier:
Front camber off?  Something is bent or bushings shot.  It doesn't take much of a hit to bend an upright.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version