Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 5099 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Another new member
« Reply #30 on: Friday,January 30, 2015, 06:23:32 PM »
- finally, regardless of what you read on the internet, break away torque is NOT the same as tightening torque.  You cannot test a torque wrench by undoing a torqued fitting.

That's a good point that a lot of people who ought to know don't. I remember back in the day, I was at an engine builder's shop and the guy went to retorque the head nuts of my engine. Of course, the wrench clicked immediately without doing anything. I told him the coefficient of static friction is a lot more than dynamic friction and in order to retorque a head nut, he had to loosen it first and then retighten it. He thought it made sense but I don't know if he changed his procedure or not. The difference between static and dynamic friction was of course something we learned in engineering school, but ironically, the person who taught me the application of that with regards to torquing fasteners was a racing buddy of mine who was a chemist!

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #31 on: Saturday,January 31, 2015, 07:07:41 AM »
JPS, I agree with all the prior posts about basic tools to accomplish routine service and repairs. You may want to consider your workplace also...Good basic lighting is a must by adding some permanent fixtures, a heat source to keep you comfortable on the chilly days and don't forget the floor. You will be on your back most times unless you have a lift.

For about $100 you can cover 50 sq. feet with a good floor padding...ld

What are the odds... ;D

Offline BDA

« Reply #32 on: Saturday,January 31, 2015, 08:02:07 AM »
I guess great minds think alike!  ;D