Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 5052 times)

Offline EuropaJPS

Another new member
« on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 12:26:13 AM »
Hi all!

Just a quick post to say hi as I was pointed in this direction from lotustalk.

I live in the UK and I currently own JPS #83 that I have just had restored by Richard at Banks Europa.

I inherited the car from my dad who owned the car since 1978, so it has been in the family for most of its life!

Anyway, I won't go on, but just wanted to introduce myself!
« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 04:38:49 AM by EuropaJPS »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Another new member
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 01:42:59 AM »
Hi, and  :Welcome: from another UK owner.....

Having seen some of Richard's work I'm betting that your car is stunning, so I'll be the first to say.... :ttiwwp:

It's easy to post photos on this forum, after you've created your reply look below the box for "attachments and other options" . That lets you select photos from your PC and upload directly without having to go via a 3rd party website such as photobox, etc.

Brian

Offline EuropaJPS

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 02:39:50 AM »
Thanks EuropaTC! Sorry about the lack of photos. I have attached some from it's first venture out onto the roads on Saturday!
« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 02:47:21 AM by EuropaJPS »

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 04:15:52 AM »
Welcome!  :coolpic:
Stunning heirloom for sure!
Love the custom support rod for the rear deck lid!
(I have one just like it).  ;D

Offline EuropaJPS

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 04:38:26 AM »
Welcome!  :coolpic:
Stunning heirloom for sure!
Love the custom support rod for the rear deck lid!
(I have one just like it).  ;D

Haha, thanks! I've been told that a broom and wheel chocks are standard equipment for a Europa! The wheel chocks I would certainly agree with after using the handbrake for the first time on an incline on the weekend just gone!!

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 08:05:49 AM »
 :Welcome:
Good to see you over here in addition to Lotus Talk, EuropaJPS! Lotus Talk is a great site but I think you'll get more out of  this forum because it's dedicated to Europas. Make yourself at home!  :)

Offline 3929R

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
She's beautiful!
I too am driving my father's europa, which he bought in 1973.
Cheers.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 08:27:36 AM »
 :Welcome: It's good to have you onboard. Your Europa is simply gorgeous. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 09:13:27 AM »
 JPS...It's great to have you and welcome to the forum. Judging from your pictures it appears you have quite the ride.
 I have always been partial to black & gold and having build #83 makes me somewhat envious.   Best of luck!...ld   

Offline EuropaJPS

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 10:33:53 AM »
Thanks for all your welcomes and comments guys!

I always wanted to have it restored for my dad as a surprise for his 60th birthday but he sadly passed away when he was 58 so I didn't get the chance to do it for him.

I think he would have been bowled over by what Richard has done with the car. I know I am and I feel very proud to own JPS #83!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 01:40:59 PM »
Now that's a good looking car that anyone would be proud of, it's just a pity your dad didn't get to see it. Tell me, is that the later mk3 standard broomstick or the original lightweight racing brrrooommm  ?   

:)

The paint looks smashing, is it original or did Richard do a respray on it ?

Brian

Offline EuropaJPS

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »
 :FUNNY: it's the lightweight version. Anything to save weight!

The paint work is completely original - no re-spray at all. The interior is completely original as well. The only cosmetic bits Richard did was to tidy up the gold leaf where it started to peel. I think I have been very lucky with the body - it is in such good condition! The wheels were appalling though - they were sent off to a wheel refurb company that did a superb job with them.

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,January 28, 2015, 02:06:44 PM »
 :Welcome: Wow, that is one stunning Europa!

Offline EuropaJPS

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,January 29, 2015, 07:24:31 AM »
A quick question for you guys if that's ok...hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place!

Now that the car is back, I'm looking to update my garage with some new tools I'll need/want to keep her in tip top condition.

I already have a decent AF tool set, low profile trolley jacks and scissor jacks etc etc and am looking into expanding my current basic (but functional) selection.

Does anyone have any advice on tools it would be prudent to invest in?

Any advice is gratefully received!

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,January 29, 2015, 08:01:58 AM »
Unlike modern cars, there isn't much of a need for many special tools although every mechanic will develop his own "special" tools by bending or grinding a wrench for that particular bolt that can't be reached any other way...

Make sure you have a set of metric wrenches for use with the tranny. I recently got a set of Gearwrench ratcheting combination wrenches that I love! Other manufacturers have similar wrenches. If possible, get the kind with the "universal" (sort of a castelated rather than a 12 pt) box end style as they will grab almost any nut of any description.

The tranny drain and fill plugs are tough to grab but I've found that the 7/16 size of the "universal" type box end works very well and doesn't bugger up the wrenching surfaces.

The front springs are compressed when installed on the shock so you will need make spring compressor for them. The standard compressors for struts will not work. Basically, you need two plates with holes in the middle big enough to put the shock through but small enough to compress the shock and still allow you to withdraw the spring keepers. Then there should be two holes on the outside for 3/8" all thread. I think you get the idea.

Hopefully, you won't have to deal with them but if you have door hinge issues, you will probably need some thin open end wrenches to grab the nuts in the hinge. If you have Richard's hinges, a 1 1/4 deep socket along with thin open end wrenches for the flats on his hinge set would be very useful.

There are special tools for crimping the bullet type electrical connectors as well as connecting them. The ones I've seen are pretty pricey. For most applications, I might convert to insulated spade lug connectors but if originality counts you might want to consider them if you need to do any electrical work.

That's all I can come up with at the moment.

Good luck!