Author Topic: Ride Height  (Read 5119 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Ride Height
« Reply #30 on: Saturday,November 05, 2016, 11:43:58 PM »
MOT passed - so I am road legal now that I have registered the car. Unfortunately it doesn't change the statistics on this website:

As for the gearbox - the only breather I am aware of is that little metal bucket shaped thing at the rear - approx 10mm in diameter...

Steve

:beerchug:

Great news Steve, and  :ttiwwp:

Yep, that's the breather I've seen. More straw-clutching, it's just part of my "I really,really don't want to pull this apart unless I have to" mentality.....

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #31 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 01:33:34 AM »
Hang on - what is the second horizontal line - is it the modern variant?? It obviously is not S1 Europa... - I thought it was the totals - it is in a darker typeface - but the maths doesn't work.

When I get a moment I will put a photo of my gearbox/chassis. The chassis was modified to take the 352 after having a 336. There doesn't seem like there is much room to pull it back to free it from the engine...

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #32 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 01:02:29 AM »
To get the gearbox clear of the engine, the engine tips up, the gearbox drops below the metal mounting hoop, and the gearbox can go backwards.

When doing this, the water pump hose comes off the long metal tube to the front radiator.

Alex in Norfolk. 

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #33 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 01:15:07 AM »
Yes, going on the dates I think that's the latest incarnation of the Europa.

When I did the clutch on mine (352 box) I took out the rear luggage tray and positioned the engine hoist to take the weight while undoing everything, I think I took off the rear mounting plate to give a bit more room. I also undid the engine mounts & supported it on the sump with a trolley jack to shift it forwards a bit, as you say it's a tight clearance job. The gearbox isn't that heavy so I think you could do it without a hoist but I've never been that strong so mechanical advantage is always my first shot.

I've no idea what the manual suggests but mine came out above the hoop and over the back.  It was quite tough splitting the clutch housing from the engine but once that was done it wasn't so bad. Going back was much faster.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #34 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 01:37:57 AM »
Only 400 Europa variants left in the U.K.? I wonder how many are left in the US?

Offline BDA

« Reply #35 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 05:24:37 AM »
I have no idea how many Europas are in the states, but Lotus Europa Central tallies 2012 in its registry.

http://www.lotus-europa.com/registry.html#bottomtbl

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #36 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 06:07:14 AM »
I interpret the UK numbers site as this-

on road 19     off road 16     - S2
on road 51     off road 40     - TWIN CAM
on road 48     off road 30     - SPECIAL

Total 118 registered for road in UK.

The second horizontal column makes no sense - but comes close to the totals. No mentioned of S1's - no idea why.

Here is pic of my gearbox - and non standard chassis. With the equipment I have - I believe it will be easier to lift out over the top. I was hoping to do this without undoing engine bolts - If the engine tips up - is it likely to give me enough room to pull back?? Would I have to remove both water hoses?? Seems like I will have to remove the top bolt-on chassis supports if I attempt it this way...

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #37 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 06:08:15 AM »
The pics...

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #38 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 08:32:22 AM »
It's a while ago now since I did mine but I do recall that I left the cooling system in place and full. I also took off the exhaust at the first downpipe joint, the gear linkage, clutch cable, etc. I had tall axle stands under the chassis side rails between the damper mounts and rear hoop.

I also undid the engine mounts, in fact I took them completely out and replaced with new ones,they get a tough life in a Europa.  As I mentioned before I had the sump on a trolley jack which lets you push it up against the bulkhead.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #39 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »
That looks to be a 352 4 spd hooked up correctly to the correct chassis.

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday,November 08, 2016, 01:51:00 AM »
At least with the gearbox out - it will be possible to access a few other things - I will check engine mounts! The chassis has definitely been modified to take this gearbox - so it sounds as if it has been done properly...