Author Topic: Door seals  (Read 6798 times)

Offline jjbunn

Door seals
« on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
I have new door seals from Ray at R.D..

On a trial fitment, it's evident there is a problem: the doors wont shut with the seals in place, as they simply take up too much room. This is particularly evident at the leading edge of the door, near the hinges. Or do I have my door fitment off? I hope not, as I took *ages* getting the Banks hinges setup so that the doors would shut at all!

Offline blasterdad

Re: Door seals
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 06:00:46 PM »
IIRC there are two different kinds, S1&S2 : Twink & Special, did you get the correct ones...?  :confused:

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »
IIRC there are two different kinds, S1&S2 : Twink & Special, did you get the correct ones...?  :confused:

Yes, these are for the S2.

I've been looking at the Yahoo forum, and Steve Veris has complained about them in the past. They weren't cheap, either!

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2016, 06:30:08 PM »
I still need to investigate mine further, it looks like a PO replaced them because they don't look like either type...Seems to seal okay though, so not real high on my priority list.  :confused:

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,January 31, 2016, 06:50:52 AM »

On a trial fitment, it's evident there is a problem: the doors wont shut with the seals in place, as they simply take up too much room. This is particularly evident at the leading edge of the door, near the hinges. Or do I have my door fitment off? I hope not, as I took *ages* getting the Banks hinges setup so that the doors would shut at all!

I have the same situation on my special...new from R&D and the doors wont close properly. The bulb portion appears to be too big. I have sourced "Woolies" for a smaller size but have yet to purchase. They are not cheap, seems a shame to drop more $$$ for a correct fit. ld

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,January 31, 2016, 10:57:27 AM »

I have the same situation on my special...new from R&D and the doors wont close properly. The bulb portion appears to be too big. I have sourced "Woolies" for a smaller size but have yet to purchase. They are not cheap, seems a shame to drop more $$$ for a correct fit. ld

The RD seals I have have a large lip, rather than a bulb - perhaps what Ray sells is different for the special? And it's the lip's size that appears to be too big. I'm loath to start trimming it, as I know it will end up looking a mess  :blowup:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,January 31, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »
They never fit properly or sealed properly from new.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,January 31, 2016, 05:13:15 PM »
When discussing cars like the Ariel Atom, Jay Leno likes to say it's the little things like windshield wipers and windows, etc. that are difficult. I think he really means doors. Judging from the Europa, getting doors to fit and not leak is the hard part. Expect them to leak a little. When mine was new, I remember that you could actually see an air gap between the door and the seal.

As to why your seal seems too big... I can only guess that Ray got the closest thing to the original but because it was so long ago, they may not be as close as we might hope. To really fit it, you may have to readjust your door. IIRC, I got my seals from Ray many years ago. They looked just like the original to me but then, when I installed them, I was starting from scratch hanging the doors - not with doors already installed.

You might give Ray a call and tell him the problem you're having. He may know the problem and have a solution.

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #8 on: Monday,February 01, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
Having ordered and received 'correct' seals from Lotus suppliers that didn't fit, I ordered a one foot section from the seals that I thought would work best from the McMaster-Carr selection. We are lucky that we don't need to source fuzzy seals, the cost is much higher and the selection far more limited.

Here is the link to the seals.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=10xt6y5

They will come individually packaged.   My recommendation is to only take one out at a time, or carefully tag them with the part number...

Dean

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 06:03:58 AM »
Having ordered and received 'correct' seals from Lotus suppliers that didn't fit, I ordered a one foot section from the seals that I thought would work best from the McMaster-Carr selection. We are lucky that we don't need to source fuzzy seals, the cost is much higher and the selection far more limited.

Here is the link to the seals.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=10xt6y5

They will come individually packaged.   My recommendation is to only take one out at a time, or carefully tag them with the part number...

Dean

Did you ever decide on which style/dimensions of bulb seals worked best? I sell fuzzy bulb seals for Ferrari Testarossa and Boxer......but.........Was too large to allow closing of doors on the S2..............a shame since I have yards of cut offs that are long enough for Lotus....

Looking forward to your response.

Looking Me

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »
I just ordered some different seals, which will arrive this week - I'll update here on how they fit.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
A good thread. Be interested what different seal work best for every one. Am about to look at what to buy.  I do have the original seals from new so will post here dimensions. But I will say they seem too thick to me! I was even thinking of different seals on different parts of the door closure.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline ezuskin

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »
I bought the RD ones for my TC some years back and wound up cutting pieces off all over the place so I could get my doors to shut and somewhat adjusted. According to Ray they would compress over time. Problem with that was I couldn't figure door adjustment without being able to close door normally or as normal as a Europa gets. If starting with doors in place and "adjusted" maybe could shut them with a good running start. I keep threatening myself that I would buy new and start over someday
Eddie Zuskin
72 TC
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #13 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 09:41:27 AM »
If anyone can get me the "correct" OEM dimensions I may be able to source these from a supplier in Europe. Even ball park dimensions and would prefer a drawing or pix of the shape/contours.

I have been supplying to Ferrari Testarossa owners for years a 98% on the money duplicate for the now unavailabe or if found $600+ per door seals for much, much less.... If I have some measurements I will start sourcing and get examples and try to find the best match, THAT LETS THE DOOR CLOSE CORRECTLY AND SEAL!!! I am about to need a few sets myself for Europa builds that I am in the midst of.  Both cars I have came with NO seals....

My direct email is    16Ltoy@msn.com

I think I can help if I get some "clues"....even a used portion of a seal will suffice.

Kerry
« Last Edit: Monday,April 18, 2016, 09:43:41 AM by kerrywittig »

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,April 23, 2016, 07:52:02 AM »
Anyone here:
1.  Own a Europa?
2.  Have a camera or cell phone with a camera?
3.  Seals that are either proper/used/perfect?
4.  A ruler or tape measure?
5.  15 minutes to snap a pix and take a measurement?
6.  Post the results?

If so, we can solve this seal problem and ALL have happy doors!!

Just suggesting Me