Author Topic: 2112P Restoration  (Read 17705 times)

Offline buzzer

2112P Restoration
« on: Monday,September 28, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »
About time I posted some stuff on the restoration of 2112P TCS.
A bit of history.
It was built Feb 1973 and raced in the UK in production class racing and used by I think several racers ending up with Chris Meek as a spare car. It was then sold to a A Neilsen in Denmark in 79 who continued to race it. It appears then to have been laid up for a year or two and then stripped apart on the 80's. Some restoration work was done in a few of the parts and the chassis was treated.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline buzzer

Re: 2112P Restoration
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 28, 2015, 07:17:59 AM »
Opps ,one of the pictures upside down,

Here are some pictures of the car when I got it.
The good news all original paintwork  :D
The bad news every panel has damage and the previous repairs were rubbish

Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 28, 2015, 07:51:08 AM »
Looks in much the same state as 4688R I got recently.

If you need any hints on where to get what done, just ask. I may have been down that path before.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 28, 2015, 07:58:45 AM »
That should keep you off the streets for a while!

Good luck and let us know if we can help!

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2015, 12:09:38 AM »
Thanks guys. 
I am a bit further ahead than the pictures now I actually got the car in 2013 started work on the bodywork and then became distorted by another project I needed clear (Range rover CSK) which I thought would take me a couple of months but took most of a year!! (that's Range rovers for you!).
The first challenge was cleaning out the bad repairs and stabilising the bodywork, making the structural repairs before starting on the gel coat/paint
I had to reconstruct both rear body mounts completely. using the body on chassis and built up the moulds with cardboard and plasticine.

Dave,

Offline buzzer

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2015, 03:14:18 AM »
Some more pictures of lack of rear engine mount!!  and firewall??!!
cleaned up and starting to be jigged up for re-glassing
Dave,

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2015, 03:29:54 AM »
Here are a few pictures of the mould set up for the RH rear body mount and the final result. The colour of the plasticine has not relevance to anything, just what was to hand. The existing fibreglass was cleaned with the dice grinder and power file, cleaned with acetone and the cardboard and plasticine just brushed with wax.
Once the technic was sorted out it went pretty well. Preparation in pre-cutting the glass, and having all the tools to hand was the key so that the resin does not get everywhere!

Dave,

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2015, 06:23:33 AM »
Nice repair! The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step! <- I made that up!  :FUNNY:

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2015, 10:02:26 AM »
very nice looking repair good job!
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline buzzer

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,September 30, 2015, 02:01:54 AM »
Thanks guys. in the end I got pretty quick at it. starting to look like a complete car
Dave,

Offline buzzer

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,September 30, 2015, 02:06:32 AM »
And all ready for priming. paint all stripped, gel coat ground down and the body tissued up, flattened and filled
Dave,

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,September 30, 2015, 05:05:41 AM »
Boy! You're making quick work of this! Were did you get the trolley for the body? It's starting to look like you've done this before!

Great pictures! Keep them coming and continued good luck!

:lotus:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 30, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
Now that is looking something like, great progress. Once that first coat of primer is on and it starts looking the same colour all over you might even start to think it will be finished one day  ;)

I'm impressed with the "turn it over to get at the bit you want" approach, I've never even thought of that one before but it's quite logical when you look at it.  When's the paint going on ?  With this Indian summer we seem to be having at the moment you might get some real progress before autumn sets in properly ?

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,October 01, 2015, 05:02:21 AM »
I have been saving up the photos over few months so progress has been slower that it looks!!! ;D The body dolly came with the car, made up from dexion and 4 industrial castors and it has been very useful, to be able to roll the body about in the garage or outside  as needed.
And putting the body upside down to repair the inner wheel arches and underside of the tub, It would have been much more difficult to do the glassing from underneath and would never have been able to get a decent finish.
The body has just come back from the painters in primer and the inside in matt black for the next phase
I'll post some pictures of where I am with the engine and chassis soon as the next activity is to fit the body onto the Chassis and start fitting out.doing this with it in primer in case I need to do anything else to the body and I don't need to worry about damaging the paint finish too much. then when partly fitted out, which will be  all major components and maybe fit the windscreen without the surround. I can then test run the engine run the cams in and then send off for final paint.
Dave,

Offline buzzer

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,October 27, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
Some pictures of the TCS's engine before and after refurb. The engine was probably useable as it was  but as I decided to strip it down to replace seals clean and paint, it got the crank checked, polished and balance (with the flywheel, rods and pistons) bores checked and honed, the head new valves unleaded seats fitted new valve and gas flowed. New water pump, new bearings throughout (apart from jack shaft) new rings, seals oil pump.
some picture before and after

Dave,