Author Topic: Door won't open  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Europaforever

Door won't open
« on: Tuesday,January 09, 2018, 03:01:02 AM »
I have just spent the best part of 2 days trying to open the passenger door of my s2!

I can get into the car from the drivers side, have taken the passenger door card out and have access
to the insides.

There was no connection to the lock from one rod (the lower one) from the inside handle that goes
to a lever (that looks to be shiny metal with 3 holes on it) it had come off.

I put the rod back on but it still won't open with the inner handle, I then put a lipped piece of steel behind that latch and pulled on it but still nothing.

I have tried force and previously from the outside removed the trim between the glass to allow access from outside to
put a rod onto it and pull but still nothing. I just don't know what else to try?

Thanks for any advice!

Offline buzzer

Re: Door won't open
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,January 09, 2018, 05:39:03 AM »
Assuming the lock is the same as a TCS. Could be that the lock is in the locked position or the child lock lever is up to stop the internal lever opening the door.
With the window up you should be able to ensure the lock is in the unlocked position and activate the external door handle lever which is different to the internal door lever, this will bypass the child lock if it has been activated.
Other reasons could be that the lock is seized in which case WD40 where you can and try again at the same time a releasing the pressure on the lock. In other words pushing the door closed might release pressure on the lock mechanism to help release a jam.
Sorry can't be any more specific as I don't have a lock in front of me
but take it easy.
good luck
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Stuleslie

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 09, 2018, 07:38:37 AM »
In the picture the door lock lever should be in the up position which will also move the internal lock lever. The door handle lever should be pushed upwards to release the lock. If the child lock is in the up position then the internal door release will not work. As Buzzer said, push on the door to release pressure on the lock. Hope this helps.
Stuart

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,January 09, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
Where are you in the UK?

Someone local might be able to help you.

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »
'I was only supposed to blow the bloody door off !'

It's now open, after removing the door card, the door seal, the exterior door handle
endless WD40, a mallet... I have cuts on my wrist from reaching in the access hole and bruises,
fibreglass itchiness...

But its open, for the first time in around 35 years. with some oil sprayed into the hinge
area once opened it now has a smooth action too.

Thanks for your helpful replies and diagrams.

Now, I just have to restore it. ;D
« Last Edit: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 12:07:39 PM by Europaforever »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
I bet the hinge pin is rusted badly, and the door moves up and down.

Fibreglass rash is a normal hazard. Quite itchy. Where did all those red lines on my arm come from?

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 01:36:42 PM »
It's now open, after removing the door card, the door seal, the exterior door handle
endless WD40, a mallet...

Great news! Congratulations on 'getting her done,' as we say in the South!  :beerchug:

I think 4129R is right that your hinge pins are likely rusted but even if they aren't, I would recommend that you get a set of Richard's hinges.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 05:56:57 PM »
Glad you got her done...the glass itch is worse at night trying to go to sleep,LOL.
Dakazman

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »
Well done, that's progress. It's an odd thing but if you said on any modern car forum that you'd finally managed to get a door open you'd be met with "huh ?" and yet with an old Lotus it's considered a milestone !

Joking aside, I'll just repeat what the others have said and don't get taken in by a smooth action or no vertical play in the door. The snag is that the hinge pin is mild steel and it locates into aluminium (?) bushes cast into the upper and lower body panels. What can happen is that the steel pin rusts solid into the threaded steel inserts in the door itself and so the opening movement takes place between the pin and the aluminium body bush rather than the pin and the door insert sleeve/bush/whatever it's called.

This is bad news because you think everything is ok but you wear away the aluminium inserts and then the door exhibits vertical play. You can adjust a small amount but it will rattle over bumpy roads and inevitably you need to replace the bushes in the lower sill and upper wing. That is very difficult but if the wear isn't so bad then you can drill out and fit a brass insert sleeve to restore the fit.

It's better to avoid that sort of thing, so while it's all apart get your torch and open the door. If the pin itself moves as you open then stock up on plasters and change for the workshop swear box because there's more joy to come   ;)

Brian

ps - if you don't go for Bank's hinges then at least replace the pin with stainless rod, it's 1/2" IIRC and off the shelf at metal stockists.

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #9 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 12:56:50 AM »
I found out that is an MOT failure... - but solved it quite easily...

Steve

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #10 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement!

Yes there actually no door drop but I'll check the hinge action another time.